Michelson-Morley Experiment (2 Viewers)

miasa

HSC
N/A
What was the aim of the Michelson-Morley experiment?
Also, I understand that they were trying to test the Aether model what were the results that they anticipated?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
straight from my notes:

click on it for larger view

Last edited by a moderator:

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Yep, what squar3root said, its to measure the velocity of the Earth relative to the aether. I've seen alot of people say its to test the existence of the aether, and that also is wrong. If they assumed the aether model to be correct, the results they were predicting was that there should have been an change in interference pattern when the apparatus was rotated 90*, however there the result obtained did not agree with the hypothesis, hence a null result.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, what squar3root said, its to measure the velocity of the Earth relative to the aether. I've seen alot of people say its to test the existence of the aether, and that also is wrong. If they assumed the aether model to be correct, the results they were predicting was that there should have been an change in interference pattern when the apparatus was rotated 90*, however there the result obtained did not agree with the hypothesis, hence a null result.
Yes, a lot of people get screwed with minor details (i have pointed these out in my notes, shameless self-promotion) like "that the mm expt was to test the existance of the aether" which is obiously wrong, it was "to measure the velocity of the earth relative to the aether."

another misconception that i see among students was that it "was not a valid experiment"
i think people are being confused with accuracy/validity/realiablity.
the mm experiment was a VALID experiment because it was repeated many times and yields the same results. but keep in mind that you can repeat an experiment 1000 times and get the same results but the calibration of the equiptnment was wrong

PS - nice username

QZP

HSC
Yes, a lot of people get screwed with minor details (i have pointed these out in my notes, shameless self-promotion) like "that the mm expt was to test the existance of the aether" which is obiously wrong, it was "to measure the velocity of the earth relative to the aether."

another misconception that i see among students was that it "was not a valid experiment"
i think people are being confused with accuracy/validity/realiablity.
the mm experiment was a VALID experiment because it was repeated many times and yields the same results. but keep in mind that you can repeat an experiment 1000 times and get the same results but the calibration of the equiptnment was wrong

PS - nice username
Lolwhat?

Anyway, why/how measure earth's velocity relative to aether? This doesn't make much sense to me...

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Lolwhat?

Anyway, why/how measure earth's velocity relative to aether? This doesn't make much sense to me...
that part you put in bold: the mm experiment was valid because it had consistent results (i don't know what you can understand about this - can you include a specific question)

the 2nd part:
how - with the mm experiment :p
why - because there was a lot of debate at the time and it needed to be resolved (it also made way for Einstein's theory of special relativity"

QZP

HSC
Why would reliable result constitute to a valid experiment? It was valid because the experiment design took into account the hypothesised properties of aether, and would effectively test for the aim of the experiment (determine its existence).

What was the aim of the experiment? To test the existence of aether right? (If not, then please explain).
If the experiment was designed to measure the relative velocity of earth to aether, how is this testing the existence of aether?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Why would reliable result constitute to a valid experiment? It was valid because the experiment design took into account the hypothesised properties of aether, and would effectively test for the aim of the experiment (determine its existence).

What was the aim of the experiment? To test the existence of aether right? (If not, then please explain).
If the experiment was designed to measure the relative velocity of earth to aether, how is this testing the existence of aether?
Why would reliable result constitute to a valid experiment? It was valid because the experiment design took into account the hypothesised properties of aether, and would effectively test for the aim of the experiment (determine its existence). - accuracy, validity and reliability are all inextricably linked

the aim of the experiment was to "measure the velocity of the earth relative to the aether" Explain bit: with the mm experiment, if the aether did exist, then there should be a different interference pattern when the appratus was turned 90 degrees. but there wasnt which led to the disproof (not sure if thats a word lol) of the aether

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
PS - nice username
ty ty.
Also isn't repeating the experiment make it reliable? Validity is whether or not the method actually tests the aim, and that variables were controlled?
To my knowledge, back in the days in which the MM experiment was performed it was considered valid and reliable as well, however nowadays the experiment is not considered valid anymore because due to the principle of relativity, c is the same in all frames of reference, so regardless whether or not the aether existed or not, a null result would be produced regardless everytime.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
ty ty.
Also isn't repeating the experiment make it reliable? Validity is whether or not the method actually tests the aim, and that variables were controlled?
To my knowledge, back in the days in which the MM experiment was performed it was considered valid and reliable as well, however nowadays the experiment is not considered valid anymore because due to the principle of relativity, c is the same in all frames of reference, so regardless whether or not the aether existed or not, a null result would be produced regardless everytime.
I don't think that this is true

An experiment does not loose validity with time. The MM experiment helped explain the things you listed in your 2nd paragraph. It also gave rise to Einstein's theory of special relativity

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Einstein's principle of relativity and special theory of relativity explained the results of the MM experiment. If light travels at the same speed in all frames of reference, then regardless the MM experiment will receive a null result everytime so it can never measure Earth's velocity relative to the aether.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Einstein's principle of relativity and special theory of relativity explained the results of the MM experiment. If light travels at the same speed in all frames of reference, then regardless the MM experiment will receive a null result everytime so it can never measure Earth's velocity relative to the aether.
yes, and the MM experiment helped show this

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Lots of misconceptions in this thread!

MM was valid based on the Newtonian/Galilean/Classical Physics back then. It would no longer be valid as Einsteins Theory of Special Relativity says that the expected result cannot happen due to the constancy of the speed of light.

Reliable as repeated many times and always same null result.

Reliability is not linked to validity at all.

Validity and accuracy are linked.

Reliability is the loner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)