Mind-Maps? (1 Viewer)

SkAnDi

HSC
Anyone else use Mind-Maps to make notes instead of the traditional linear notes (ala those available on BOS).

Not that i'm attacking BOS, and the notes available! (great work guys!) But to me, i just find Mind-Maps easier to remember and understand.

The gist of it...

i get to colour in, and draw in english, which at least makes it fun. Which at least makes me like it.. somewhat.

blake

I'm personally not one of those hippies that has to have colour of pink, bright green, yellow and orange etc, I write it up in normal paragraphs as I'm not creative and find it easier to learn it via parot fashion.

sar

I use mind maps for some things. I think colour helps me remember things better in some cases. They are good though, but you just have to find something that suits your own individual learning style.

Christine

beige member
HSC
i always found mind maps too confusing. i like lists and dot points but i do like colour...

my religion teacher reckons its to do with learning styles. its pretty interesting. there are quizes and alike available on the net which tell u the best method for u to learn/study by.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
forcing the use of mind map is evil;

my english teacher is the worst teacher you'll ever see along your life, and she forces you to make mind maps on a subject.
on top of it, she starts with a blank mind map, and tries to make the student to fill up by discussion method. she tried, but it takes 2 periods or something just to do a simple mind map, all because she can't control the class.

whenever someone talks, she starts spending time on that person and wastes the time we coulda studied, and.. ah screw it.

anyways mind map aren't as useful as list, in my opinion. but if it makes your studies better, then so be it :D

SkAnDi

HSC
They help for me! It at least keeps me interesting in english...

and finally i can take adequate notes from when my englisht eacher is just speaking to the class!

(she tends to just jump around all the time.. rather hard to keep putting lists everywhere that don't interconnect :( )

Soul

New Title...
Mindmaps rule!

I really find mindmaps an effective way to note things down and study, organise stuff,

The brain isn't organised along the line of linear / hierarchichal note taking structure. Mindmaps help to get things in order according to how we understand the topic, thus helping me to consolidate my understanding of info...

Obviously this style isn't suitable for some study i.e. it cannot replace writing essays for practice etc. and it may not be suitable for some subjects...

The main thing is to find a way of studying that suits you...

Personally I find mindmaps as a really useful tool

kyoto

I dont know what a mind map is.

we had to do one and jin only got 2 out of 5
and thats only because it was pretty.
:(

and skand wont tell me how to do one.

course jin havent asked yet~
:D

EkEkKEkEkEKkekE

Lee

by the sound of it, creative people like using mind maps. i have never used a mind map in my life, i don't even kow what it is! i probably would help myself (as i am a creative person) if i used them, but i;ve never really seen one to understand fully what it is:)

ignorance is bliss

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
and if jin did a table he would have gotten 5 out of 5 because the english cottage sux and they reckon that a table is a mind map and cos all the good people in the top class did mindmaps...

SkAnDi

HSC
All the people in the top class did "essay outlines" copy paste from computer, with some lines linking to be called a "mind map".

Oh yes, they REALLY are mind maps.

And guess what, if you do a mind map in the buzan form, ala the way the dude who owns the copyright, and trademark for "mind-map" you don't get 5 out of 5.

And yes, i am bitter.

And yes, i don't think it's fair.

Teacher : "I think we've done you a disservice..."

Student : "So what's goign to happen? It's not very fair that i get penalized"

Teacher : "We shall see..."

Student : *pent up rage*

ben

I USE MINDMAPS

Basically, I write normal notes first. Then I take those notes and make mindmaps from them... but i usually include small dot points on these mindmaps...

Kristy

i think they work for some subjects but not others.

i find that with legal studies they don't really work - not for syllabus notes at least - but i find them really useful in english. i'm doing changing perspective and telling the truth and mind maps work well for relating concepts within the topics :)

kyoto

Originally posted by user
and if jin did a table he would have gotten 5 out of 5 because the english cottage sux and they reckon that a table is a mind map and cos all the good people in the top class did mindmaps...

Amen brother. Sister.
whatever.

KEkekEKkekEK~

:D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
my highlighter is my friend;/

ben

yuk! i wouldn't study off notes with those connector pens scribbled all of them! :D

By the way - you've got a G2!! I've got a G1 - they're great

i usually make notes, but then again, i've made some of my ext i english note sin mind map form and that really helped me study for my trial (i made them in last term last year or something)....

nah mind maps rock! my year 5 teacher introduced me to them and i really didn't know how to take advantage of their versatility but they just fully rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)