• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Minoan Notes (1 Viewer)

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Hi everyone. I know everyone comes here, and lots r lookin 4 minoan notes, so i just wanted 2 tell u all that i posted my summary and it should be available soon. If u have trouble with it, or need more just im me, i got losta notes.
I also have some on Rome78-28

Hils

minoan government ...help!!

hey, i was wondering if you had any notes on minoan government, i cant find anything anywhere!? thanks ;)

angelduck

HSC
Der Tina!!!!!!!!
Im not a complete fool.
I meant, are you after social structure, if there was a king, that sort of stuff. Seriously, coz you cant say there was a government (at least, we dont know) so i was just asking what she meant by government

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I'm guessing it's to do with social stratification, "kings", influences of religion, administration of trade and occupations, etc. All of which ducky is honoured to share, right duck?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
dont tell me both of u have forgotten nanno marinatos already!!! she has plenty of evidence for government (*sighs* yes, tied in with religion obviously). however annoying i find her most of the time, shes actually got a pretty good argument for this one if i remember right. central religious beauracracy etc.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
*tina goes to find minoan poster she did on social divisons*

Ahem.

Have some free historiography ppl:

John Pendlebury:
"it is impossible to say what kind of social order existed [in Minoan Crete]"

(utter total bs i might add)

J.S Soles and T.M Whitelaw:
They believe that the house tombs of Mochlos and other sites in Northern Crete can provide evidence for a hierarchial social structure. Tombs differ in sizes, proximity to settlements, architectural elaboration, and quality of grave goods.

Dr. Brian Brennan:
Theorised that since religion was primarily goddess based (eg Snake Goddess), the society could have been matrilineal rather than patrilineal.

Nicolas Platon:
He adds support to the theory of Minoan Crete being strongly influenced by women as it was a peaceful society. He speaks of "the influence of female sensitivity" and also believes Crete had a remarkably higher standard of living compared to other societies of that time.

Susan Evesdaughter:
Believes Minoan society was matriarchial.

(she uses a whole bunch of evidence here, mostly criticising Evans' work)

So yeah, that's all i can be bothered to put up atm. It's late....

angelduck

HSC
I cant think of Evans without thinkin Hippie!!!
Damn him and 'flower power!!'

Yea Rhia, i think her theory was pretty good, although, Bab's has got me notes folder, so i cant actually find it. But from what i remember she bases it on the flawsin Evans theory, as well as the overwhelming religious stuff we have, and all that female priestesses stuff

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
What about that theory by Vanderlich who said something about Knossos being a mass cemetary because bulls were a sign of death?

Debunked, but damn that was good! Don't worry Vandy-baby, i'll support you!!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
OMG!!! i luuved that theory! especially the way Vanderlich not only ignored all the contradictory evidence - which was what, everything?!?! - but the way that he went out of his way to make everyone aware of the fact that he was ignoring it and still thought that everyone would believe him! thats confidence for ya! - or maybe just egomania...oh well, im good for either!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
tina_goes_doo said:
[B
Susan Evesdaughter:
Believes Minoan society was matriarchial.

(she uses a whole bunch of evidence here, mostly criticising Evans' work)
yeah, but dont forget with her that basically no one agrees with her - coz in her thesis she mixes up pretty badly the concept of matriarchy and matrilinial descent when she discusses her evidence - just kinda swaps/mixes together the both to 'prove' her theory - which goes a long way to discounting it. modern sources dont really agree with her and the ancient ones (especially the ones she uses as support!) certainly dont agree.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
angela, plz do us all a favour and shut up bout the miriam theory. geez, thats gonna give me nightmares. dream of gae callender slowly turning around in typical evil villain style, slowly standing and then saying 'yes...i AM a male giraffe and my name is dark mirium' NOOOOOOOOOO
*calms down*
ok, that was so not what i was gunna write!
yeah, it was asia minor she was talkin about - the theory was ok cept that she made a mistake in reading/misquoting herodotus (i think it was herodotus) - one small mistake kinda ruined her theory. she said it was matriarchal, but was only matrilinial. (see! i can post on topic!)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Oh god, you actually understood that from when Harpy was telling us? I started writing that point down but got majorly confused (as i usually do when she talks). From what i remember, that was a really stupid theory. Glad i didn't use it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)