Minority faiths on the move, come see what religion is in YOUR suburb. (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

SYDNEY's inner- and medium-ring suburbs have become a patchwork of religious enclaves, with minority religions making up to 40 per cent of the population in some areas.

But the city's outer regions, made up mainly of aspirational white-collar workers and blue-collar tradesmen, remain bastions of mainstream Christian faiths.

The data, compiled by the Bureau of Statistics, suggests that developments of schools and cemeteries on cheaper sites on Sydney's white-bread fringes will continue to fuel protests while they run ahead of religious settlement patterns.

In Camden, where residents rejected a Muslim society's proposal for a school, a Catholic organisation's plans to build a school have been welcomed because, as one resident put it, "Catholics are part of our community".

Muslims comprise less than 0.2 per cent of the population and remain a largely unknown religious group. One-third of the population is Catholic, another third Anglican.

Maps plotting the concentration of faiths by postcode were produced for the Herald by the bureau based on data collected for the 2006 census.

They show that up to 40 per cent of Auburn and Lakemba identify as Muslim. There are also large Muslim populations in Greenacre (30.7 per cent), Silverwater (27 per cent), Roselands (22.1 per cent), Arncliffe and Turrella (21.7 per cent), and Bankstown (21.6 per cent).

Ethnic and religious forces converge in Cabramatta, where more than 40 per cent of the population identify themselves as Buddhist and Vietnamese.

Sydney's Jewish population is the most concentrated in Rose Bay, Vaucluse and Watsons Bay, where up to 30 per cent identity with the Jewish faith, and to a lesser extent in Bondi and Bondi Junction and around the Ku-ring-gai local government area.

These communities have not reached the levels of religious dominance found in London, where minority religions can make up to 80 per cent of the population in some areas and are generally more dispersed.

But the statistics suggest they are on the move, with emergent ethnic religious communities being established in other centres of Sydney where there is cheaper land or new ethnic beachheads.

The director of the Centre for Population and Urban Research and reader in sociology at Monash University, Bob Birrell, said Sydney had distinct neighbourhoods with different characteristics. But he expects that in the normal course of the city's development, as second and third generations of migrants leave the nest of their early communities in search of cheaper housing, there will be greater dispersal and migrant settlement on the fringes. This could possibly aggravate religious tensions.

Liverpool, Mount Druitt, Bonnyrigg and Parramatta are showing signs of large migrant population shifts that include Muslims and Buddhists.

The Pentecostal church message has taken root among aspirational Sydneysiders, with the Hillsong church spreading deep into Sydney's north-west. Parklea, Stanhope Gardens, Rouse Hill, Kellyville and Annangrove are at the geographical heart of the Pentecostal faith.

Leichhardt may be Sydney's little Italy but Pope Benedict would have likely got a more rousing reception in Horsley Park, where almost 70 per cent of residents identify as Catholic.

Catholics are also concentrated in Haberfield, Five Dock, Abbotsford, Kingswood, Rooty Hill, Bringelly and Rossmore.

Those of Protestant faith are much more dispersed, but Anglicans have the tightest grip on Gosford, Wyong, Sutherland Shire, Camden and Wollondilly.

The heart of atheism appears be in the inner west. Residents of Camperdown, Erskineville, Enmore, Newtown and Annandale are more likely to shun religion than any of their other Sydney neighbours.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ing-same-psalms/2008/10/12/1223749845518.html

God bless you people who live in Camperdown, Erskineville, Enmore, Newtown and Annandale. :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Minority faiths on the move, come see what religion is in YOUR suburb.

lol buddhists in cabramatta.

ironically one of the most dangerous suburbs too.

Fathers

Banned
HSC
Re: 回复: Minority faiths on the move, come see what religion is in YOUR suburb.

tommykins said:
lol buddhists in cabramatta.

ironically one of the most dangerous suburbs too.
Fucking Asians.

L i L O

HSC
Auburn's dot should be GREEN not ORANGE. Stupid Sydney Morning Herald dickheads.

mattchis

HSC
Its alright, they cant do much to the endless swarm of asians that zerg rushed sydney

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
I love how the silverwater dot is green because all the muslim dogs are getting sent to prison where they belong

Fathers

Banned
HSC
The Islams are much to close to the airport. Coincidence? I think not. I think they've strategically positioned themselves around the airport for maximum strength in explosion.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Captain Hero said:
I love how the silverwater dot is green because all the muslim dogs are getting sent to prison where they belong

HAHAHAHAHA

yeah some of my cuzins r in jail too bad too sadd

oh wait remind me how much NON - MUSLIMS r in jail
the end

get over it people we're NOT GOIN ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
You're related to people who are in gaol? God way to perpetuate a stereotype.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
HAHAHAHAHA

yeah some of my cuzins r in jail too bad too sadd

oh wait remind me how much NON - MUSLIMS r in jail
the end

get over it people we're NOT GOIN ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!
lol France

8% muslim

50% of prisoners are muslim

also, you can make the truest generalisations from the first pic

anglican = central coast or shire bogans
catholics = wogs
jews = rich ppl
buddhists = crazy azn gangs

Last edited:

44Ronin

HSC
oh no, people believing in what they want shit we can't have that............

Everytime I come here, I see bigot pigs trying so hard to be funny. :apig:

The Islams are much to close to the airport. Coincidence? I think not. I think they've strategically positioned themselves around the airport for maximum strength in explosion
It's actually because the noise levels made the property prices low for the original migrants who came. You get points for being an ignorant dumbfuck though.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why is pigs an insult? Pigs are intelligent creatures and they are also delicious!

MissSarajevo

HSC
So jews occupied the entrance to Sydney harbour and controls all the bizness innit?

44Ronin

HSC
Captain Hero said:
Why is pigs an insult? Pigs are intelligent creatures and they are also delicious!
JULES
Naw, I don't eat pork.

VINCENT
Are you Jewish?

JULES
I ain't Jewish man, I just don't
dig on swine.

VINCENT
Why not?

JULES
They're filthy animals. I don't
eat filthy animals.

VINCENT
Sausages taste good. Pork chops
taste good.

JULES
A sewer rat may taste like pumpkin
pie. I'll never know 'cause even
if it did, I wouldn't eat the
filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep
and root in shit. That's a filthy
animal. I don't wanna eat nothin'
that ain't got enough sense to
disregard its own feces.

VINCENT
How about dogs? Dogs eat their own
feces.

JULES
I don't eat dog either.

VINCENT
Yes, but do you consider a dog to
be a filthy animal?

JULES
I wouldn't go so far as to call a
dog filthy, but they're definitely
dirty. But a dog's got
personality. And personality goes
a long way.

VINCENT
So by that rationale, if a pig had
a better personality, he's cease to
be a filthy animal?

JULES
We'd have to be talkin' 'bout one
motherfuckin' charmin' pig. It'd
have to be the Cary Grant of pigs.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
Haha you stupid fuck pigs are clean animals that shit in a pile well away from their sleeping areas - unlike some peoples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)