Modern History or Extension 2 maths??? please help!! (1 Viewer)

tangle

HSC
N/A
So currently I'm doing english advanced, chem, physics, modern history, and extension 2 maths. I've realised that i need more time to study and i'm planning to drop down to 10 units mainly because of extension 2 maths. I'm doing pretty decent in all my subjects except for Extension 2 averaging probably low to mid 70s and i found that i'm spending a lot of time on it. So what i planned on doing was drop modern as it is the lowest scaling subject i have but now i found out i'm ranked first in the grade... I have no idea what to do, should i drop extension 2 or modern? Please help :(

theind1996

HSC
N/A
How are your Chem and Phys going?

And how is your school ranked?

tangle

HSC
N/A
modern - 1st
physics - top 10
chem - top 20
maths top 20
english - ergghh not too good ahaha
4u- only 26 students and im pretty sure im the bottom ones ahaha

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Drop Chem then or just don't pick up 4U imo.

Like Modern does scale the worst out of your subs, but you are doing CONSIDERABLY better in it so there's really no point dropping since it scales well at the upper echelon of marks (93+).

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Drop Chem then or just don't pick up 4U imo.

Like Modern does scale the worst out of your subs, but you are doing CONSIDERABLY better in it so there's really no point dropping since it scales well at the upper echelon of marks (93+).
+1.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well the cohort sizes would be nice, but I would advise you not to drop modern...you are rank 1, this far offsets the scaling advantages of the other subjects because well, it'd be nice to get the highest assessment mark and you will likely get a good exam mark in modern if you keep it up! It is your strongest subject rankwise, scaling is a bad reasoning in this case!

funstudy

HSC
Extension 2 maths for sure. Averaging 70s is good! If that's your raw mark, then you'll get band 6 for sure, once its scaled. And remember Extension 2 scales like crazy.

jenslekman

HSC
Okay - I did both modern and ext2 mathematics last yr - and I didn't drop modern because I was first in the grade and it was quite interesting in yr11 (and somewhat though not as interesting in yr12) and I was also near the bottom of my ext2 cohort in the beginning but I should be ending up with a low,mid 90s hsc mark so don't lose hope ... Personally I found modern workload to be around the same or greater than ext2 workload but modern scales worse and is only 2 units and ill get around the same final hsc mark for both subjects. The thing about being first in modern is that you will have to carry yourself and the school in the hsc - so it's quite stressful - because not only does modern not scale well but it aligns pretty badly - one bad section cold cost you plenty of marks. So I think dropping modern isn't such a bad idea unless you're the historian type student that cannot live without some sort of humanities subject in your life :) - but this is just my view

tangle

HSC
N/A
I like modern, but mx2 scaling is crazy...
Thanks for the help guys but i've decided to wait till the first mx2 assessment task and decide then

D94

HSC
N/A
I like modern, but mx2 scaling is crazy...
Thanks for the help guys but i've decided to wait till the first mx2 assessment task and decide then
Scaling won't help if you do crap in the HSC exams. It's hard to tell if a 70% mark at your school for MX2 is a good mark or bad mark because there doesn't seem to be consistency between assessments (unlike some other subjects, you can sort of determine your HSC mark by your performance).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)