HSC
The subjects i am doing now are:

Adv English
General Maths
IPT
IT VET
Visual Arts
Modern History

I was thinking of changing Modern to Software and design, so i will be doing 3 IT courses ..but im worried it could affect my UAI considering i need one of 90+ to study graphic design

But then i was thinking of changing IPT to Legal so i would be doing IT VET, Software and Legal.
So confused ....anyone got some advice

thanks!!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Software and Modern are both hard, higher scaling subjects. If you like Software better, then by all means do it, and vice versa for Modern.

I'd recommend not doing IT VET - it's a bludge and especially if you want to go to Uni, it's not really worth it. Well, at least VET is a bludge at my school. The teacher never turns up and then never really helps with the work if he sets any. I never actually did the class, but I spend my free period in the same room and I see what ahppens.

On the other hand, Software is a good subject, but it is hard and requires a lot of learning on your own and note-taking. It is aimed at a higher skill level than VET and the work reflects that.

jirwin

HSC
90+ uai to study graphic design? what uni is this at cos i want to study graphic design and i have seen courses for like 68 UAI

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I did the three computer courses and modern amongst my other subjects so I guess I know both sides of the fence.

It really is a decision you have to make yourself. Like WithoutWings said with any subject combination you can get the desired UAI if you put the effort in and try your best.

Long has been debated if it is better to do higher scaling subjects or subjects you enjoy more my opinion is do what you enjoy, try your best and see where that takes you.

Choosing the three IT courses you will notice a bit of a crossover in IPT and SDD which can be helpful other then that I guess you really have to have an interest in computers as half the subjects you do will be computers.

cl3nta

HSC
like the above posts have mentioned, do what you enjoy and you think will help you. At the end of the day, that is all that matters (apart from the good UAI ofcourse:p)

Dongle

HSC
Hm... I accelerated SDD last year (it scales down as well), and I can tell you it's not very pretty. I think Modern would be more interesting - WW1, Vietnam and 19th-20th century European politics will get you worked up. You have to do a major project for SDD as well (although its internally marked), which could soak up a disproportionate amount of your time, so take that into consideration as well.

cs01001

HSC
Hey SS, I don't quite get what the stats in table A3 mean, care to explain it to me?

It says...Mean =

HSC: 36.7
Scaled: 27.6

What is that suppose to mean?

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Table A3:
Course, Enrolment: Self-explanatory.
Type of Mark: First row is the HSC marks that were given by the BOS, Second row is the scaled marks calculated by UAC.
Mean: The average mark for both HSC and scaled marks.
S.D.: Standard Deviation.
Max: Maximum HSC and scaled mark for that particular course.
P99, P90, P75, P50, P25: The minimum HSC and scaled marks that the top 1% of the course received, the top 10% of the course received and so on.

Probably made some mistakes in interpreting that, not that well-acquainted with it.

For what you quoted, the top mark is the average HSC mark that the people who did the course in 2006 received, which the scaled mark was the average scaled mark received by those who did the course in 2006.

Last edited:

cs01001

HSC
By the look of it, it looks like Modern scales down a lot, Yeah?

What subjects do you do, SS?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Nah, it's pretty average in scaling, not bad, not good either. Changes every year though.

Well I did extension 1 maths last year, so that leaves me this year with Cosmology, Extension 1 English, Extension 2 Maths, Physics, Legal Studies and SOR 1.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
You do know there is little to no point worrying about scaling? It's not going to change so let it be and get on with the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)