Module 1 q (1 Viewer)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Going over the first module, I've got the following questions. Some a bit random, so any input on any of them would be most welcome.

1. In the practical for testing alkanes/alkenes with bromine water, what is the equation for cyclohexane + bromine water as well as the one for hexane + bromine water. In both the presence of un light and with no uv light present.

2. Independant Trial 2001 Q24 is in reference to the alkane/alkene experiment using bromine water. The question is "Identify TWO risk factors you would consider in performing risk analysis for this experiment?" Now how would you answer this question?

3. In the 2002 HSC paper, Q18(b) was "Assess current developments in the use of biopolymers. Following is my answer for this and I'm just wondering what I need to add to it to be able to get the full 5 marks for it.

A biopolymer is a naturally occuring polymer or one synthesised from naturally occuring substances. Biopolymers are becoming incresingly more important because in many situations they are excellent substitutes for materials currently obtained from the petrochemical industry, with biopolymers able to be renewable and biodegradable. these 2 traits mean that, is used in moderation they will not run out and will not cause harm to the environment. some important biopolymers include cellulose acetate, celluloid, PHA and PLA. Polylactic acid is essentially made from starch wastes. these wastes are firstly converter to simple sugars and then bacterial fermentation converts it to lactic acid. Then it is dehydrated to produce a lactide and finally it is converted to PLA using a solvent free polymerisation process. PLA is increasingly becoming a very importnat polymer due to its renewable nature and biodegradability.

4. With radioisotopes is it preferrable to have ones with high or low ionising ability for each of diagnosis and treatment. And what does the ionising ability have to do with the type of radiation produced?

5. Do we need to know about thermosetting and thermoplastics? The reason I'm asking is that there was a question about them in NEAP 2002 (Q23) and they are also mentioned in Chem Contexts 2.

6. With heats of combustion would it be correct to say that for alkanols, as the chain lenght increases (more carbons), both kJ/mol and kJ/g also rise. And also when converting between the 2, is the following correct:
kJ/mol -> kJ/g Do you divide by molar mass?
kJ/g -> kJ/mol Do you divide by number of moles?

7. How do you explain the relevant properties of PVC and polystryrene. Like why is PVC waterproof and polystyrene hard? And other properties as well.

Thanks!

chunder

HSC
(1) Just know the equation concerning the alkene. The equation isn't hard....however make sure you consider the fact the Bromine water is polar hence making it more complex then just a straight addition equation.

e.g. for ethene (don't use this...use cyclohexene)

CH2CH2 + Br2 (aq) = CH2OH-CH2Br + HBr

(2) risks associated with the alkane/alkene tests are fumes flammability, and toxicity of chemicals

(3) Use PHA.....talk about the bacteria used, environmental impacts, yieldage produced via current method....you get the drift

(4) no idea

(5) Know it.....it's not exactly hard

(6) everything you say is correct

(7) is this in syllabus.....regardless......it's probably got something to do with the benzene ring in the case of polystyrene and chlorine in the case of PVC. The presence of these two "things" provide increased opportunities for bonding (dispersion forces and H bonding???) hence leading to water proofness and hardness. This is only a guess....it sounds impressive none the less.

FLR-IT

1 - Bromine water is HoBr not Br2

2 - im with chunder

3 - same

5 - they removed this from the updated syllabus

FLR-IT

Originally posted by marsenal

4. With radioisotopes is it preferrable to have ones with high or low ionising ability for each of diagnosis and treatment. And what does the ionising ability have to do with the type of radiation produced?

not sure wat u mean, but this might help.

for medical uses, beta emitters are most preferable with moderate strength. Gamma emitters are not suitable because they obviously are too strong, while Alpha emitters are a hazard because they are considerably weak which causes radiation to become trapped inside the human body, causing further damage.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by FLR-IT
not sure wat u mean, but this might help.

for medical uses, beta emitters are most preferable with moderate strength. Gamma emitters are not suitable because they obviously are too strong, while Alpha emitters are a hazard because they are considerably weak which causes radiation to become trapped inside the human body, causing further damage.

No No No

you are only 1/2 correct

alpha particals have high ionisation ability so they will damage the body. also since they a bug and fat they get trapped in the body causing more damage.

Gamma radiation is good at breaking the bonds in DNA (if moderately strong) so it can be used to treat cancer. it has low ionisation ability so it doesn't physically damage the body.

Gamma also has high penetration so it can be used for diagnosis.

MyLuv

(1)
Bromine isnt very soluble ,in H20 it can be HOBr 'n Br2
Presence of uvlight: 2 type (addition 'n substitution
C6H12(cycloHexane) + Br2 -> C6H11Br +HBr (the product varies, more H can be replaced by Br)
C6H10(cycloHexene) + Br2 -> C6H9Br +HBr (product varies)
C6H10(cycloHexene) +HOBr ->C6H11BrO
Absence of uvlight: 1type (addition)
C6H10(cycloHexene) + HOBr -> C6H11BrO
(2)
- Bromine water is corrossive 'n toxic
- Cyclo hexane 'n hexene is flammable 'n fairly toxic
(3)
I guess U should put some use of Biopolymer in it such as PHB replaced for polypropylene used to make bags,nappies,package...
(just wonder/ they also use polypropylene for Membrane cell-making NaOH- how could it be???;) )
(4)
think jm got it ,but I'm not sure whether pp use Beta for cancer treatment or not.
(5)
no idea :p
(6)
kJ/mol -> kJ/g Do you divide by molar mass?
kJ/g -> kJ/mol Do you divide by number of moles?
Yep,correct
(7)
PVC is water proof coz it doesnt have Hrydorgen bond and is mainly non-polar(C-Cl is polar but the the non-polar is too large) thus cant dissovle is water or waterproof->used to make water pipe
PolyStyrene has the bezene ring cause chain stiffening(restrict branching) thus allow molecule pack closer 'n thus stronger dispersion force hence stronger 'n harder ;)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
No No No

you are only 1/2 correct

alpha particals have high ionisation ability so they will damage the body. also since they a bug and fat they get trapped in the body causing more damage.

Gamma radiation is good at breaking the bonds in DNA (if moderately strong) so it can be used to treat cancer. it has low ionisation ability so it doesn't physically damage the body.

where did u get this info? i don';t think it's in the texts

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Thanks for all the help. I see that the ionisation question wasn't just a stumper for me. To be honest I'm not sure what it is myself but have come across it in a few multiple choice questions.
Originally posted by jm1234567890
No No No

you are only 1/2 correct

I guess I'm also now curious where that info was obtained.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)