Modules B: critical study of text, mary mcaleese 'the defence of freedom' (1 Viewer)

mark

Any one got any ideas where i could find information about the context or how it was recieved at the time or anything about this damned speech ?

books, links, whatever i just want to find *anything* about it; ive given up on google.

TIA

Rahul

Dead Member
excel adv eng and books like that, they have helpful information

i am doing sppeches, but haven't dun that one yet

tieki

There was a really good summary on all the speeches that someone did on the main website, but I can't find it now, with the new site online...I think I've got the PDF file at home here, so I'll post it in this thread this afternoon (got a maths half-yearly in the morning!)

:)

Rahul

Dead Member
we did a bit in class today:

each yr on 12 july the protestant(P) orangemen march to remember the battle of boyne, where William of orange(P) defated James' army(C). she refers to this in the last paragraph on page1 and onto the next page.

we got told to research that battle of boyne.....and to talk to sum irish teachers:)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mark
Any one got any ideas where i could find information about the context or how it was recieved at the time or anything about this damned speech ?

books, links, whatever i just want to find *anything* about it; ive given up on google.

TIA
I've got the excel adv. eng. here, there's not a lot in it,
so i'll type it up for you.

page 289 - 290

mary mcaleese (that sounds like ... oops 'aleese' :p)
"the defence of freedom"

the strength of this speech is that it swiftly moves from general considerations to focus specifically on the situation in northern ireland with regard to the free expression of ideas and beliefs. as president of ireland, mcaleese considers carefully and impartially the position of both protestants and catholics and makes interesting comparisons with racial problems in america. this shows her awareness of her audience of harvard university in that country. she also shows the inconsistencies between what is disallowed in speech in the workplace and the absolute freedoms demanded on the streets.

the speech is an excellent example of a careful analysis of a concept, grounded in historical references and practical suggestions, avoiding complaint and attribution to blame, and encouraging thought, discussion and action to improve and progress human relations in a difficult environment.

:)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
You really don't need much in terms of background info...you don't have time to write much on each speech in an essay (they'll make you write about 3...by the time you add a conclusion and introduction, thats around 10 mins an speech-not much!), and I think the markers are more concerned with you getting into the meat of the speech rather than discussing background info in much depth. (although that is still important..just keep it brief!)
The stuff posted from the excel book seems like it would be plenty. Just state the reason why the speech was given, and how the techniques she used in the speech would have suited that situation. Easy peasy.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)