• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Money stuff (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm going away to uni next year and I was wondering if there's any kind of help I'm entitled to. My parents are paying for my accomodation but that will hardly leave them with two cents to run together..
As far as youth allowance goes, that's cool, but I can't even find a job at the moment, and since you have to be out of school for 18months, even supposing I can earn the 18 grand in 18 months, for the first couple of months of uni I will have no money for clothes, books, even toothpaste. Does living away from home (even if parents are paying for accomodation) make me independant in Centelinks' eyes?

yeah, any help would be appreciated.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I think that as a uni student you can only be classed as 'independent' if you are married, have a child, you've earned however much money it is in the 18-month period or if it is 'unreasonable for you to live at home' because of severe family issues (like if you're a victim of abuse or something). Otherwise, you are classed as dependent and the amount of money you get from Centrelink will be affected by your parents' income.

Krieg

HSC
If it's going to be as complicated as it sounds why don't you defer and work for a year?

rozymisty

HSC
You can be 'independent' if you have earned $15K or more over the past 18months or so since you have left yr 12. It depends on when you left.

You are classed as living away from home dependent if you have to move out of home because you have no where to study at home, have to move closer etc coz of distance, like 90mins return trip or something.

To be independent you have to have like constant fighting thats so bad that it borders on abuse. Tahts how I got my independent status. But when i first tried to get it, the social worker reckoned that they classify difficulty according to physical difficulties, such as being abused. And they dont classify like the mental, or emotional or financial abuse. 2nd time around I got to speak to one of their social workers at the office and she said she'd approve it rather than it going to the big central social work office.

Its so crappy having to deal with Centrelink. i will be so glad when I graduate and dont have to deal with them anymore!

Other than that, uni's offer scholarships and stuff to help out, though it depends on the faculty your with, like the 'big' ones like IT, Law and Business have lots of funding and stuff.

Or you could apply for the commonwealth scholarship, they have a accomodation one ($4K i think) if your a remote or rural student, and/or the general uni one which is $2K and thats for general living expenses and uni costs apparently.

Thankfully i got a scholarship throught the Smith Family since I was a low income student who got into uni through QUT's QStep program. Though whne i first got it, i was doing primary education, then switched to nursing. Thankfuly the sponsor allowed me to continue on with the scholarship until the end of this year, my final year thank god. Nursing is so expensive especially the books!

HSC
rozymisty said:
You can be 'independent' if you have earned $15K or more over the past 18months or so since you have left yr 12. It depends on when you left.

You are classed as living away from home dependent if you have to move out of home because you have no where to study at home, have to move closer etc coz of distance, like 90mins return trip or something.

To be independent you have to have like constant fighting thats so bad that it borders on abuse. Tahts how I got my independent status. But when i first tried to get it, the social worker reckoned that they classify difficulty according to physical difficulties, such as being abused. And they dont classify like the mental, or emotional or financial abuse. 2nd time around I got to speak to one of their social workers at the office and she said she'd approve it rather than it going to the big central social work office.

Its so crappy having to deal with Centrelink. i will be so glad when I graduate and dont have to deal with them anymore!

Other than that, uni's offer scholarships and stuff to help out, though it depends on the faculty your with, like the 'big' ones like IT, Law and Business have lots of funding and stuff.

Or you could apply for the commonwealth scholarship, they have a accomodation one ($4K i think) if your a remote or rural student, and/or the general uni one which is $2K and thats for general living expenses and uni costs apparently.

Thankfully i got a scholarship throught the Smith Family since I was a low income student who got into uni through QUT's QStep program. Though whne i first got it, i was doing primary education, then switched to nursing. Thankfuly the sponsor allowed me to continue on with the scholarship until the end of this year, my final year thank god. Nursing is so expensive especially the books!
Thanks for the advice...the scholarships and stuff probably not a go since I've already deferred...it's just, I'm going to be 8 hours away from my family, with no money. lol. Not good. but yeah, hoping to get a job up there, but since its a uni town, and not in Sydney, I'm thinking that won't be that easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)