• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mood (1 Viewer)

Emph

HSC
When you attempt to write your stories, do you have to be in a particular mood? For example i need to be in a self-loathing type of depression which is proving quite difficult because I do not feel like this too often and so my writing doesn't occur too often.

Also, is there a time of day which you find more productive? For me it is about 8pm at night because i am getting tired and so more likely to feel not so happy.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Bah, damn you pessimists. Optimism for the win.

I write when I feel inspired, for joy.

Gangels

HSC
Theres a little age old trick called grab a bottle of whisky, a stick of weed and sit in front of your piece of paper.
Well it worked for the monkeys. Remember try everything.

Good luck with that

HSC
N/A
When depressed or upset I find that I can write quite easily, however it tends to be the diary/journal/confessional type of writing. There can be some good bits, but as a long sustained piece it just doesn't cut it because it's too angsty.

I probably do the bulk of my writing when I'm in a neutral/mildly excited mood. :) I normally start grumpy/neutral, but as I get into the swing of things the mild excitement builds - eg "ooh! Where can I take it next?"

Cat_Orange

HSC
I write best when I'm either excited or annoyed. Excited because I actually want to write and annoyed because it gets my mind off whatever I'm annoyed about. I don't particularly like to write when I'm upset/depressed because it means I have to read over it the next day and think, 'Oh lord, what the hell was I thinking?'

Trillium

HSC
I write when i have something to write about... which means that i have multiple 2-4,000 word stories lying there that i've decided i hate now.
Bugger.
But yeah. I don't need a mood, i just have to wait until the writing is a form of procrastination for something else, i guess.
~Trill

caelestis_draco

HSC
I know what you mean about the mood. I have a depression character too and it's nigh impossible to write for him because i have to get into a really crappy frame of mind. I basically have to do all his writing when i'm PMSing and since that's only once a month i have to cram all my creative thoughts down in that time(sorry to all you males who didn't want to know that).

I've found that listening to music that makes you cry or feel sad is a good method. I use music a lot when i write for that depression character, like i'd listen to Justin Timberlake's Cry me a River and then get all angsty (and no i wasn't getting angsty and depressed because his singing was bad).:)

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
I find any extremes of emotion help me write, infact require me to write. But I write differently when in different moods, which can be an advantage sometimes, as I don't necessarily want the thing flooded with one emotion. But isn't good when trying to sustain a consistant mood.

As my story is ment to be a predominantly happy one, last time I was really unhappy and needing to write I made up a new character that was sad.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Bah. I just write because I want to. To hell with emotions. :p

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
I don't usually need to be in any particular mood when I want to write something... I just write when I feel like it. However I've noticed that the best thing I've ever written (it was only short, seven chapters, about 15000 words) was written in the ten days after my dog died. Methinks I was depresseled. ^^;

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Emph said:
When you attempt to write your stories, do you have to be in a particular mood? For example i need to be in a self-loathing type of depression which is proving quite difficult because I do not feel like this too often and so my writing doesn't occur too often.

Also, is there a time of day which you find more productive? For me it is about 8pm at night because i am getting tired and so more likely to feel not so happy.
Oh. No mood really.
But last night I dreamt that for 40 hours I wrote my short story on a bus.
When I woke up I was in Kazakhstan.
Ooops.

Splinter089

HSC
Im kinda the same as everyone else in here, i dont particularly need to be in any type of mood. Usually a story keeps buggin me until i write it down, just to get it out of my head. I just convey what ever type of mood i am in into the story. So if im angry i have an agressive way of writing.

kit scara

Lyres Lair, just past the pink baloon tied to the
HSC
I write to think. I kind of went through stages in my writing, first I would write about myself and what I wanted, then I would write about my friends. Now my characters are kind of their own world, so I can be really happy and writing about something gothic, or I can be really sad and writing about something funny and lighthearted. Mind you I am freakishly weird.

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
OHH this is why I'm such an annoying writer. 'Cause I'm writing about an 'emo' character, contrasting with an idealist character, it's REALLY hard to write dialogue betwee them, because...I dont know, I feel like an actor - I need to become the character...HAHA how stupid does that sound.

I have to listen alot of Boy Sets Fire to write about Calvin, and alot of Dido and Goo Goo Dolls for Brielle. Not nice. And also, I don't usually begin an entirely new story for my moods, so my story changes COMPLETELY each time I write it, from mood to mood.

renton

HSC
i def try to steer clear of heavy emotions when i'm writing. i want to be as level-headed and down to earth as possible when i'm writing otherwise it turns to romantic or deliberately rebelious writing which is always shite

nwatts

HSC
renton said:
i def try to steer clear of heavy emotions when i'm writing. i want to be as level-headed and down to earth as possible when i'm writing otherwise it turns to romantic or deliberately rebelious writing which is always shite
Haha, a few romantics would disagree. :p

renton

HSC
yeh agreed, but when it comes to decent writing, a heap of them can't tell shit from brown pudding

Redgoddess

HSC
Once I start I'll generally find it easier to continue, but starting's a problem :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)