• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mooting (1 Viewer)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Who's doing mooting this semester?
This is my first time doing it other than an assessment.
Well it's good to see you getting involved! I might be doing a bit of judging...

Did they have a Mooting tutorial/how to moot/whatever you call it thing?

iwannarock

HSC
i'd go to moots if it wasn't for the fact that i'd get pwned.

i havent done debating since year 8.

and even then........i usually didn't even try to stay on topic.

i would just attempt a stand up comedy routine instead.

i remember one particular debate i managed to cover toilet paper, the incredible ammount of law shows on tv created by the same person, guinea pigs, typical toilet humour stuff, and advertising.

the material was gold i tells ya.

HSC
i'm doing it
got one on wednesday.... it's fair tricky to find stuff on duress i'm finding (cases and such) after the 2005 amendment (which for some reason casebase doesn't like to search for). does anyone know if there are alterate search engines (or maybe i'm just doing it wrong - not too technologically able)

iwannarock

HSC
i was thinking of creating a mock moot team.

a team that doesnt try to win.......but tries to be the funniest.

i'd tie my hair up in a pony tail and have a pimp cain and have all these gold rings..........and someone else can have glasses with sticky tape in the middle and hold all the books...........and a girl to play casey novak from law and order.

and we use nothing but quotes from various legal movies such as the firm or the devils advocate or primal fear in our arguments.

how would this go down with the judging panel?

:santa:

HSC
love it!!! u should totalyl do it (and make up cool titles to go with its creation that u can put on ur cv)

we'd need a mccoy as well... and tom cruise from a few good men

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
iwannarock said:
......and a girl to play casey novak from law and order.
Me! Me! Except I'm brunette, so maybe I could throw in a little Olivia action too, and save all the molested children?

I never had the courage to do mooting, so good on you Scarecrow!! I'm so proud; 1/3 of our little 2004 law group is growing up and being mature about her law degree... I might start that one day (if psych falls through).

I did Witness Examination, and it was fun the first time. And then I had to do it twice more, which was hell.

Edit: Hey! IWR and I could come and be a little cheerleading team for you! Just tell us when and where. We can be the embarrassing parents American Beauty style ;)

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
and the team will have pictures of Hotman on our bench........indonesian lawyer superstar.

look at the size of that ring.:eek:

and many times during the proceedings our team will "consult" with the picture Hotman Hutapea.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
scarecrow_of_oz said:
i'm doing it
got one on wednesday.... it's fair tricky to find stuff on duress i'm finding (cases and such) after the 2005 amendment (which for some reason casebase doesn't like to search for). does anyone know if there are alterate search engines (or maybe i'm just doing it wrong - not too technologically able)
Haha, I was like duress? What the??... before I realised you're in the senior comp.

X

xeuyrawp

iwannarock said:
i was thinking of creating a mock moot team.

a team that doesnt try to win.......but tries to be the funniest.

i'd tie my hair up in a pony tail and have a pimp cain and have all these gold rings..........and someone else can have glasses with sticky tape in the middle and hold all the books...........and a girl to play casey novak from law and order.

and we use nothing but quotes from various legal movies such as the firm or the devils advocate or primal fear in our arguments.

how would this go down with the judging panel?

:santa:
I'll cross dress, paint myself black, and be some sort of Negro-GLBT civil rights activist.

iwannarock

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I'll cross dress, paint myself black, and be some sort of Negro-GLBT civil rights activist.
when (not if) we lose you have to jump up and yell

"THIS IS AN OUTRAGE........i demand a re trial.

this judge has something against black people"

"no i don't"

"OOOOOOOH so you have somthing against gay people"

X

xeuyrawp

iwannarock said:
when (not if) we lose you have to jump up and yell

"THIS IS AN OUTRAGE........i demand a re trial.

this judge has something against black people"

"no i don't"

"OOOOOOOH so you have somthing against gay people"
Hahah nice.

But yeah, I was a witness for the same guy twice in witness examination. He was pretty shit (Rob, what's 'indicktable?'), as was his opponent (your honour, the defendant's case is like swiss cheese).

So Mel, unless you've got terrible case of yellow fever, or use lame rhetoric that belongs in year 3, you are guaranteed a place in the semi finals. :p

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
We lost unfortunately but we didn't do too bad considering it was a team of 3 first years and me against 5 second years. Anyone know when the next round is, obviously after the holidays?

iwannarock

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Hahah nice.

But yeah, I was a witness for the same guy twice in witness examination. He was pretty shit (Rob, what's 'indicktable?'), as was his opponent (your honour, the defendant's case is like swiss cheese).
the defendants case is like swiss cheese?

HAHAHAHAHH

he actually said that.

thats something so stupid that this mock moot team would say it to be funny.

except we'd say "the defendants case is like swiss cheese.....................................................its smelly and tastes weird":santa:

cuz we switch up the humour.

HSC
i had my bf last year be my witness

it was pretty funny... i thought he'd ace it cause he's heaps smart - and he was good in prep since he saw in a second all the things wrong with the other team's case.

i still prepped him though - said that the other team was likely to ask is he had formed a prejudice against the prosecutional witness (to which he was meant to say no) and why he let the guy drive if he could smell grog on him (to which he was meant to say the smell could have come from anywhere e.g. spillage, lack of clothes washing skills.

anyway, it went like this:
Prosecutor: would u say that u were prejudiced against mr brown?
Witness: oh no, i have a prejudice against all young people.
Prosecutor (pauses, shaking his head): ok.... so why did u let him drive if you could smell alcohol on him?
Witness: i didn't care. i pass drunks all the time!

(at this point the prosecution's witness started giggling next to me, causing me to laugh hysterically for about 10 mins... i seriously could not stop nearly had to leave the room - the prosecution had to pause his case so i could try to calm down)

X

xeuyrawp

iwannarock said:
cuz we switch up the humour.
*we walk in wearing suits, carrying a diagram. We unroll the diagram and begin our case...*

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
scarecrow_of_oz said:
anyway, it went like this:
Prosecutor: would u say that u were prejudiced against mr brown?
Witness: oh no, i have a prejudice against all young people.
Prosecutor (pauses, shaking his head): ok.... so why did u let him drive if you could smell alcohol on him?
Witness: i didn't care. i pass drunks all the time!
Is that the case where its at a soccer stadium or something? The name Mr Brown is strangly familiar from when I did witness... My boy was my witness, too! I think he enjoyed it, but said all the wrong things, too! Damn men! ;)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
scarecrow_of_oz said:
i still prepped him though - said that the other team was likely to ask is he had formed a prejudice against the prosecutional witness (to which he was meant to say no) and why he let the guy drive if he could smell grog on him (to which he was meant to say the smell could have come from anywhere e.g. spillage, lack of clothes washing skills.

So you actually tell your witness what they are going to say? Is this true just for mooting or for real life too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)