• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

most flexible uni (timetable wise) (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
i heard somewhere that UNSW or USYD (not sure which), has rigid timetables and you dont have much of an option when choosing ur timetables, but i heard UTS is more flexible.

are these true? and which other unis have flexible/inflexible timetables?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
UTS is probably the most flexible uni in terms of timetabling

Usyd has rigid timetables for undergraduates

Also depends on the course

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW is pretty flexible - in that you can choose individual times for individual lecture streams and tutorials (ie custom design your timetable to suit your life, by say, cramming everything to 2 days, or spreading over 5 days etc)

USyd is pretty rigid (I know cause I help fix up my gf's timetable and shes at usyd) - basically you cant change individual classes easily, and if you make changes, they change ALL you classes around

shannonm

HSC
N/A
unsw - for popular courses there ar emultiple streams
eg there are three streams for maths 1a (first year science / eng / other) course

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Minai said:
UNSW is pretty flexible - in that you can choose individual times for individual lecture streams and tutorials (ie custom design your timetable to suit your life, by say, cramming everything to 2 days, or spreading over 5 days etc)nd
That is what it is like at Newcastle University too:).

santaslayer

HSC
I thought it depended more on the course. Eg. The first year commerce students usually get the more flexible timetables compared to, say, a visual design/art student because of the amount of people in the course...no?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well that makes sense, because due to there being more students they have to have more class which means there are more options available to you:).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, however the point is - at Newc, UNSW and im sure many others, you can choose individual class times for both lectures and tutes. At Usyd however, you can't do that, you can only change your whole timetable at once, not indivdual classes

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
maq uni is pretty flexible, it is very easy to swap around your lec/tuts/pracs

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
and at syd i think the first lectures start at 8, but at nsw the first lectures start at 9.

santaslayer

HSC
Minai said:
Yes, however the point is - at Newc, UNSW and im sure many others, you can choose individual class times for both lectures and tutes. At Usyd however, you can't do that, you can only change your whole timetable at once, not indivdual classes
Whoa...that sounds really frustrating...:p

UoW has a similar timetabling system as UNSW then...for Commerce and Law faculty anyway...most faculties have their independent way of timetabling..

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Minai said:
Wow, that is harsh:eek:!

addz

HSC
I heard at UTS in business, if you dont do a combined degree
you basically get the "left-over" timetable slots because it is harder to fit a double degree person into 2 different subject timetables than it is for a person doing a straight business degree, less clashes i guess..

and yea...first year at UNSW, you can make practically any timetable you want provided the numbers for that subject are high, and since most are core, you get like 3-5 to choose from which is very flexible

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Merethrond said:
Wow, that is harsh:eek:!
yeah tell me about it...I was trying to fix my gf's timetable (usyd) to suit mine, but to no avail..

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
At Macquarie you actually make your timetable

So providing you're on the ball and get your shit organised, you can have anything you want. It's also pretty easy to move tutes and stuff around afterwards (you can do it online).

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
you can do that at UNSW too, but the degree of flexibility really depends on the subjects... a popular subj like accounting will get 5 or 6 streams but if you doing a major with limited numbers like actuarial, you'll get 2 subjects with quite a few hours but only 1 stream, hence clashing with everything else and driving u mad when you try 2 organise a workable time table... ( i had to get my lecturer to by-pass a clash to enrol in 1 of my subjs)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
As others have said, Newcastle you make your own timetable...
But for me, each of my subjects only has one lecture, with no repeats, so I have had to base it around that...but tutes are pretty flexible...(apart from the fact that I have a lecture every day, and therefore theoretically have to go every day)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
arts @ unsw have rigid lecture times, however you pick your own tutes. I've found that some subjects will only hold their tutes on a certain day, which is annoying.

Then again, arts is pretty flexible in that it's pretty much all electives, so you can pick/drop/swap subjects as you please.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
It was so refreshing coming from USyd last year to have a decent timetable system at UNSW. At USyd you can allocate up to 2 periods where you are unavailable. Then you generate your timetable with the button and the whole thing is reproduced around those changes.. in short IT SUCKS. You can goto the student office and have it customised to some extent.. but you have limited information, you have to work it out manually/by yourself (though they put it in), and it is a real hastle.

The great thing is now I can see the timetables for classes and actually see what lecturers are taking the relevant classes. So you can choose a specific stream to avoid bad lecturers

hatty

Banned
very interesting.
i woulda thought a uni like usyd woulda given u more flex timetables.
oh well. thanks all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)