• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Most Fool Proof way to get a good mark in the HSC (1 Viewer)

Rockchic

College Kid
HSC
I'd really like to know what i have to do like study wise and all that stuff to get band six where possible in the HSC, how much to do i have to study? how is the best way to study? what is everything im expected to do to get well in it all?

i have exams in two days!! AHH!!! lol j/k

Me..

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Make sure you have the syllabus, especially if it's a science. Much easier if it's science cuz they're like a checklist. If you can answer the questions there, you're on the right track.

English is good to especially the electives. Underline keywords and make sure you focus on what they want out of you.

I remember powerplay was asking for different types of power, how power resides with the people, and something else.

But use the syllabus as a checklist, I'd say.

Plus give yourself some timed practice exams, like ACTUALLY writing a 40 minute essay for english. It's scary how much time flies by, and you'll be more prepared to organise your time, figure out what you should cover BEFORE the actual exam.

Hope it helps :)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yep. Diligence(sp?) + a bit of luck = good mark in HSC

K

katie_tully

Rockchic said:
I'd really like to know what i have to do like study wise and all that stuff to get band six where possible in the HSC, how much to do i have to study? how is the best way to study? what is everything im expected to do to get well in it all?

Me..
There is no fool proof way to get a good mark in the HSC. To get a band six, I'd suggest you put a social life on hold for the next 6 months and just study, study, study.
Infact, the best preparation you can do for exams now is past HSC papers.
I just did my half yearlies :(
Biology: Know the syllabus. Sciences are easy when it comes to the Syllabus, because often the syllabus note is similar in wording to questions in exams. Have a few experiments you've done handy, as well as examples of animals that display similar traits (for example, have an animal that is ectotherm, endotherm, examples of enantiostasis, etc), to back up information.
History, you didn't specify which history. With Ancient you just need to know basics, dates are handy. If you're studying a personality, make sure you know their family background, political background, their actual personality, the way they interacted with their people and their influence on whichever civilisation they ruled or were part of.
If it's an ancient society, know customs (burial customs, funery customs), know evidence like frescos, know trade partners, things like that.

English Advanced is the easiest. Know your journey's booklet, know Skrzynecki, know King Lear productions and KNOW THE PLAY! Don't worry about interpretations too much, one or two for King Lear is enough. Make sure you have quotes to back everything up, three or four quotes will get you safely through. The same with Skrzynecki, quotes!!!

Extension 1 English - Know your texts like the back of your hand. Be able to relate your texts to your module, whatever it happens to be. Quotes, examples. Be ably to relay the texts like you know them word for word. When it comes to creative writing in ext, be able to make your creative task relate to your module.

Easy as.

K

katie_tully

Hard Work.

Put In The Effort= Good Results
is the answer to -

Me..
???

Slide, you can stop being pompous now. We all could have said "Put in effort", I'm sure that would help her greatly.

gosh

half baked's five foolproof ways of getting a good HSC mark:
5. Do your homework: you may have gotton away with this in earlier years but doing your homework is really important in consolidating knowledge
4. Revise daily or at least weekly
3. Understand and get to know your subject better. Research, follow the syllabus, ask questions in class
2. Dont try cramming, it never works (trust me). Plan and be better organised for your assement tasks and or exams
1. Relax, dont stress and dont take it too seriously

disclaimer: the word "foolproof" is subject to change and should not be taken too literally as it does completely guarantee a perfect HSC mark. Half baked does not accept any responsiblity for loss of any marks or fallen aspirations as a result of the above statement :)

just joking...
and good luck for your exams

Last edited by a moderator:

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
katie_tully said:
There is no fool proof way to get a good mark in the HSC. To get a band six, I'd suggest you put a social life on hold for the next 6 months and just study, study, study.
Infact, the best preparation you can do for exams now is past HSC papers.
I just did my half yearlies :(
Biology: Know the syllabus. Sciences are easy when it comes to the Syllabus, because often the syllabus note is similar in wording to questions in exams. Have a few experiments you've done handy, as well as examples of animals that display similar traits (for example, have an animal that is ectotherm, endotherm, examples of enantiostasis, etc), to back up information.
History, you didn't specify which history. With Ancient you just need to know basics, dates are handy. If you're studying a personality, make sure you know their family background, political background, their actual personality, the way they interacted with their people and their influence on whichever civilisation they ruled or were part of.
If it's an ancient society, know customs (burial customs, funery customs), know evidence like frescos, know trade partners, things like that.

English Advanced is the easiest. Know your journey's booklet, know Skrzynecki, know King Lear productions and KNOW THE PLAY! Don't worry about interpretations too much, one or two for King Lear is enough. Make sure you have quotes to back everything up, three or four quotes will get you safely through. The same with Skrzynecki, quotes!!!

Extension 1 English - Know your texts like the back of your hand. Be able to relate your texts to your module, whatever it happens to be. Quotes, examples. Be ably to relay the texts like you know them word for word. When it comes to creative writing in ext, be able to make your creative task relate to your module.

Easy as.
The people of Austria will be proud. And it should put an end to the "Katie ist doof" head-lines the newspapers have been running.

K

katie_tully

Arvin Sloane said:
The people of Austria will be proud. And it should put an end to the "Katie ist doof" head-lines the newspapers have been running.
have people been calling me stoopid in Austria again :(

K

katie_tully

Argonaut said:
It's not just in Austria ...
I find that amusing coming from the person dubbed the most boring person on the entire forum.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
if u wanna do well short-term and be f'd long-term, just learn stuff off by heart and you'll get your marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)