• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Motivating Students in Junior Years (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I am having trouble motivating a Year 5 and Year 9 student that I currently tutor. Are there any suggestions as to how I can boost up their motivation in studies?

I find tutoring the students that are keen to be alot more easier than the ones, who are lacking their own motivation to study. I try to reinforce things like how competitive study is in NSW, study is life-long process, try to be an all-round person, I try to make the subject interesting but providing Youtube clips /videos, I bring in a range of different books, i try to speak in a friendly engaging way etc but the message doesn't seem to get through at times.

Suggestions? Ideas?

keepLooking

HSC
It really depends on the environment the kid is in. If it is an asian kid, you just have to be more strict and stern. If they still do not listen to you, bring it up to their parents.

It sounds like you're working really hard to make it interesting but it won't help if the kid just does not entertain you.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
show how its useful in real life, and what jobs people use it in

make it look easy to do

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I am having trouble motivating a Year 5 and Year 9 student that I currently tutor. Are there any suggestions as to how I can boost up their motivation in studies?

I find tutoring the students that are keen to be alot more easier than the ones, who are lacking their own motivation to study. I try to reinforce things like how competitive study is in NSW, study is life-long process, try to be an all-round person, I try to make the subject interesting but providing Youtube clips /videos, I bring in a range of different books, i try to speak in a friendly engaging way etc but the message doesn't seem to get through at times.

Suggestions? Ideas?
Firstly, try to find out what is making them unmotivated.

Secondly, try to decorate the room with famous inspirational quotes about working hard

Thirdly, teach them the importance of hard work and respect and how one day in the future, if they don't work hard enough, they'll never succeed in life

Fourthly, try telling them methods of studying and tell them to experiment them and see how it goes from there and find out which study method suits them

Lastly, tell them the state ranker's secret to success in the HSC and how they do it without tutoring

Hopefully that'll motivate them :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Bring the cane out
Can confirm it works

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I still own 4 canes but unfortunately, I can only occasionally show them to my students. Of course I cannot use them because of the very progressive and enlightened policies here!

Last edited:

Kolmias

HSC
Just use the old "you'll be on Centrelink for the rest of your life if you don't pull your finger out and do some work you bludger".

Works for the Liberal Party. :tongue:

Shuuya

HSC
Firstly, try to find out what is making them unmotivated.

Secondly, try to decorate the room with famous inspirational quotes about working hard

Thirdly, teach them the importance of hard work and respect and how one day in the future, if they don't work hard enough, they'll never succeed in life

Fourthly, try telling them methods of studying and tell them to experiment them and see how it goes from there and find out which study method suits them

Lastly, tell them the state ranker's secret to success in the HSC and how they do it without tutoring

Hopefully that'll motivate them :)
I think that OP's aim is to motivate his tutoring students, not lose them :p

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

Suggestions? Ideas?
I know you mean well, but I've always found being shown videos as kind of lazy/disinterested way of teaching tbh

Something that might help with the motivation is perhaps show them just how deep the rabbit hole goes. For example, for like Maths or say Science, like show them that what they are learning is barely a fraction of what they do in the real world in those fields. I found maths and calculus in general much more interesting once I began to understand how critical that basic idea of 'change' is to physics. Emphasize that they are playing the long game here, and the end-game is what they are really going for. Like, there is a plan, and it will probably work if you can stick with it.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I think that OP's aim is to motivate his tutoring students, not lose them :p
Yeah but that way they will hopefully learn rather than be a stupid lazy idiot sitting there doing nothing, wasting time and being lazy

enoilgam

HSC
Im going to offer a bit of a different opinion here. I met Wayne Bennett once a few years ago and he told me "You cant motivate the unmotivated". Having been a tutor for a number of years, I think this is very true. Motivation comes from within and ultimately, there is very little you can do to motivate someone who deep down isn't motivated. It's not your responsibility to motivate them anyway, they need to come to you with the right attitude.

Also secondly, be careful not to force your views of education, success and motivation on others. Everyone has their own definition of success and as the tutor, I think it's up to you to support the student to achieve their vision. I recently had a student who aimed to achieve a Band 4 in General Maths. I believe he was capable of a lot better, but ultimately, given his aims, a Band 4 was all he needed and he didnt find it necessary to put in the extra effort to get higher. I was more than happy to help him reach his goal (which he did).

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I know you mean well, but I've always found being shown videos as kind of lazy/disinterested way of teaching tbh

Something that might help with the motivation is perhaps show them just how deep the rabbit hole goes. For example, for like Maths or say Science, like show them that what they are learning is barely a fraction of what they do in the real world in those fields. I found maths and calculus in general much more interesting once I began to understand how critical that basic idea of 'change' is to physics. Emphasize that they are playing the long game here, and the end-game is what they are really going for. Like, there is a plan, and it will probably work if you can stick with it.
I think showing a 5-7 minute video during the lesson doesn't hurt. I find alot of university lecturers refer to videos. There are now alot of online learning resources which are helpful for HSC that are played by Youtube. Sometimes when I dont understand something from a book, watching from video gives me a different angle on a certain topic.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I really like that idea. I think what I will do is bring in a large number of books and show them how much effort and work you need to do each year in order to get to the top of the class. I think sometimes when you are in Year 9, you dont see how much effort goes into Year 11 and 12. I constantly tell my student "the hard work has to start now". I could provide some sort of examples to show them i.e physically. The Grove maths text books, Cambridge maths textbooks, Fitzpatrick as well as exam papers, all my worked out solutions and exercise books ............in Year 9 its just 1 textbook. There is a huge comparison.

When students see the hard work, they change a bit.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Suggestions? Ideas?
Tell them you'll call their parents. That'll give them a kick up the backside to study harder.

Also you can guilt trip them and say "You are wasting your parent's money" and "You bring shame upon your parents for being so lazy".

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Tell them you'll call their parents. That'll give them a kick up the backside to study harder.

Also you can guilt trip them and say "You are wasting your parent's money" and "You bring shame upon your parents for being so lazy".
For some that works, for some it doesn't especially when you're an immature little twelvie

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

Only work with azns

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I think showing a 5-7 minute video during the lesson doesn't hurt. I find alot of university lecturers refer to videos. There are now alot of online learning resources which are helpful for HSC that are played by Youtube. Sometimes when I dont understand something from a book, watching from video gives me a different angle on a certain topic.
Nah, I don't think I was really clear. I completely agree, especially for something like Chemistry I've found videos invaluable to help foster understanding. It's being made to watch a video by someone else that kinda irks me ahaahaha. maybe its just me though lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)