• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Moving up into higher positions with accounting (1 Viewer)

O2

HSC
Hey, again i thought i might start another discussion relating to accounting.

So... here it comes:

How easy/difficult is it for a person to move from a managment/senior audit position into industry senior positions. And what positions would/could these be?

For example, a senior auditor/supervisor from a 2nd tier accounting firm decides to move into industry. Will he/she be looking at a internal audit managment role or move even higher to perhaps fin. controler, or director/cfo, etc.

Also, these people who move and take these higher roles, are they generally in smaller firms or can they be in large investment banks, banks, major retailers etc.?

Hope you understand the questions, and any discussion would be great!

roadcone

HSC
the most common progression into commerce from accounting firms is being nabbed by a client...

turtleface

HSC
How easy/difficult is it for a person to move from a managment/senior audit position into industry senior positions. And what positions would/could these be?

For example, a senior auditor/supervisor from a 2nd tier accounting firm decides to move into industry. Will he/she be looking at a internal audit managment role or move even higher to perhaps fin. controler, or director/cfo, etc.

Also, these people who move and take these higher roles, are they generally in smaller firms or can they be in large investment banks, banks, major retailers etc.?
This is a rough guide (all assuming roles at big companies):

Audit Senior (1-2 years experience): Corporate Accountant, Financial Accountant, Analyst
Audit Supervisor/Assistant Manager: Senior Financial Accountant, Group Accountant, Senior Analyst
Manager: Senior Group Accountant, Financial Controller, Group Financial Controller if lucky
Senior Manager: Group Financial Controller, Commercial Manager, General Manager
Partner: Group Financial Controller at a very large company, CFO/FD of a division at a large company, or Group CFO/FD if lucky

obviously if you go to a smaller/medium joint a Manager can become a CFO easily first time moving out.

These are real examples I can remember off the top of my head right now:
- Chris Brant a former partner at Deloitte who at one stage was Deloitte's Audit Leader in ASPAC went straight to
- An Audit Manager from my division with 4 years Post Qualification experience moved into a Group Financial Controller role with a ASX 50 company (I'd say about 180K + bonus). He was either very good or very lucky
- Peter Marriott a former KPMG partner and now the ANZ CFO was originally a General Manager, Group Accounting when he moved across.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)