multiple choice financial (1 Viewer)

cossine

HSC
D)

to count the number of numbers from a to b (inclusive)

b - a + 1

5 - 0 + 1 =6 years

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
View attachment 32349
i dont really understand why its laid out like that../
I would take a different approach. Their setting out is using the same basic approach I used in the last thread, letting the An's be the value after n years, but I think that with compounding of contribution and interest, it is less clear. I am using the compound interest formula, where an amount of $P grows at r% per annum for n years to become $A:

So...

Let $An be the amount the nth contribution grows to by her daughter's 3rd birthday.

Contribution 1 (on daughter's birth) was $2000 and earned interest for 3 years, so

Contribution 2 (on daughter's 1st birthday) was 5% more than Contribution 1, so was

but it earned interest for only 2 years, so

Contribution 3 (on daughter's 2nd birthday) was 5% more than Contribution 2, so was

but it earned interest for only 1 year, so

Total value of contributions on daughter's 3rd birthday, immediately before the fourth contribution is made, is

The answer given is incorrect in the final step as it says squared where it should say cubed.

stressedadfff

HSC
I would take a different approach. Their setting out is using the same basic approach I used in the last thread, letting the An's be the value after n years, but I think that with compounding of contribution and interest, it is less clear. I am using the compound interest formula, where an amount of $P grows at r% per annum for n years to become $A:

So...

Let $An be the amount the nth contribution grows to by her daughter's 3rd birthday.

Contribution 1 (on daughter's birth) was $2000 and earned interest for 3 years, so

Contribution 2 (on daughter's 1st birthday) was 5% more than Contribution 1, so was

but it earned interest for only 2 years, so

Contribution 3 (on daughter's 2nd birthday) was 5% more than Contribution 2, so was

but it earned interest for only 1 year, so

Total value of contributions on daughter's 3rd birthday, immediately before the fourth contribution is made, is

The answer given is incorrect in the final step as it says squared where it should say cubed.
thank you, i feel so behind i didnt know this :(

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
thank you, i feel so behind i didnt know this :(
Stressedadfff, one reason that I contribute here is to help people. Realising that you don't know a part of the course content can feel discouraging, and lead to feeling frustrated with yourself and with teachers, etc... but try and see the positive in having found and started to address an area where you were struggling. That's why doing past papers is valuable - not only to consolidate knowledge and understanding, but to find areas of weakness and address them. The ability to learn from mistakes is a critical skill to develop, it's a generic skill that you will need throughout your life. Well done on seeking help to deal with a specific challenge, but more importantly, on having the ability to recognise a problem and the wisdom to do something helpful to deal with it.

Some advice I offer for all students is that your feelings can be a great asset when studying, but they can also be a liability. Feeling confident in your ability is a healthy and helpful feeling, so long as it is appropriate - that is, it is reflective of genuine ability - because overconfidence is not helpful. Anxiety / fear can be helpful if they lead to action, but unhelpful if the lead to avoidance - which can include studying topics you know you understand as a way to avoid the topics you know you find difficult. My point is, reflect on your feelings and how you respond to / handle them, so that they are helping you and not interfering. The same applies to mistakes - learn from them and they become a positive, but don't dwell on them or use them as a basis for self-condemnation.

To illustrate with an extreme example (true story): A university engineering student taking a first year maths course failed it... and not a fail with 49%, but with a quite considerable gap to 50%. He had to repeat the course (obviously). The following year, stressed about the exam in the same course (that he still didn't understand), decided to calm his nerves the night before with a night out drinking. The exam was 3 h in length and started at 9 am the next day. At 9:15 am, one of his housemates woke him and asked didn't he have an exam to attend. He swore, and quickly left to go to the exam. He returned about 11:30 am, commenting "I think that went quite well." He failed. His fears led him to avoid working at the subject on the second attempt, he tried to deal with anxiety in an unproductive way, and he covered over reality with a dose of bravado and overconfidence. He was nearly excluded from his degree because of it, but he did ultimately learn and he did end up with an engineering degree.

stressedadfff

HSC
Stressedadfff, one reason that I contribute here is to help people. Realising that you don't know a part of the course content can feel discouraging, and lead to feeling frustrated with yourself and with teachers, etc... but try and see the positive in having found and started to address an area where you were struggling. That's why doing past papers is valuable - not only to consolidate knowledge and understanding, but to find areas of weakness and address them. The ability to learn from mistakes is a critical skill to develop, it's a generic skill that you will need throughout your life. Well done on seeking help to deal with a specific challenge, but more importantly, on having the ability to recognise a problem and the wisdom to do something helpful to deal with it.

Some advice I offer for all students is that your feelings can be a great asset when studying, but they can also be a liability. Feeling confident in your ability is a healthy and helpful feeling, so long as it is appropriate - that is, it is reflective of genuine ability - because overconfidence is not helpful. Anxiety / fear can be helpful if they lead to action, but unhelpful if the lead to avoidance - which can include studying topics you know you understand as a way to avoid the topics you know you find difficult. My point is, reflect on your feelings and how you respond to / handle them, so that they are helping you and not interfering. The same applies to mistakes - learn from them and they become a positive, but don't dwell on them or use them as a basis for self-condemnation.

To illustrate with an extreme example (true story): A university engineering student taking a first year maths course failed it... and not a fail with 49%, but with a quite considerable gap to 50%. He had to repeat the course (obviously). The following year, stressed about the exam in the same course (that he still didn't understand), decided to calm his nerves the night before with a night out drinking. The exam was 3 h in length and started at 9 am the next day. At 9:15 am, one of his housemates woke him and asked didn't he have an exam to attend. He swore, and quickly left to go to the exam. He returned about 11:30 am, commenting "I think that went quite well." He failed. His fears led him to avoid working at the subject on the second attempt, he tried to deal with anxiety in an unproductive way, and he covered over reality with a dose of bravado and overconfidence. He was nearly excluded from his degree because of it, but he did ultimately learn and he did end up with an engineering degree.
THANK YOU SO MUCH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)