• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

music 2 prelim exam (1 Viewer)

princesspiggy

HSC
any tips on how to study for my music 2 prelim exam? it's a short exam with a couple listening tasks, a melodic dictation and one sight singing. should I just keep doing hsc past papers? and also how to get better at melodic dictation cos I just don't think im good at it

Blue24

HSC
Practice analysing the excerpts you receive without using the sound and only using the score. You can answer most of the questions by just looking at the score. You can use the sound to relax and check what you're saying is correct.

For the melodic dictation. I am also terrible at it. But here's the method I like
1. Draw the melodic contour above the bars or on a blank page. That way, if worst comes to worst, you can guess the notes and get the marks for correct contour.
2. Think in leaps and steps. Make a small mark on the page if the notes are clearly more than an interval apart or only an interval apart.
3. Get to know your intervals well
4. Don't stress about minor inaccuracies. You're guaranteed 3/5 if you notate pitch and rhythm with a sense of melodic shape and rhythm. You can get 5/5 with "minor blemishes"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)