My SGP Topic (1 Viewer)

avhead

no-hope fighter pilot l0l
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
HSC
So basically I was having a look at the G. Interactions textbook and there is a marking criteria, with one of those criterias being "Relevance of topic to Geography".

My chosen topic for the SGP is focused more on Human Geography, being "The Economic Impact of Sydney Airport and the Issue of a Second Airport". Is this topic relevant enough to Geography or am I stepping more into the zone of Economics with this? My thought process was along the lines of that the airport provides many jobs, money to the economy, etc, but as some of you might be aware will approach a bottleneck ~2060 so that if nothing is done, it will hurt the NSW economy. What do you guys think of that? And if it's not good enough, are there any alternatives to do with the airport that I could do as well? I've done a bit of work but nothing too drastic that couldn't be altered to a different topic.

Avhead :spin:

pmescotty

HSC
your topic sounds good, although more focused/based upon HSC course (world cities/urban dynamics) not prelim which tends to be more enviro stuff. Generally most ppl do erosion along various stretches of the coast, so its good your doing something out of the box. Topic is good, although i would probs focus more on the alts for second airport i.e. within syd (badgers creek, richmond) or upgrade newy or canberra etc - with pros n cons, feasibilty timeframe etc. Also fill it full geo based 'big' words - sounds good. Also probly better do one eco impacts or 2nd airport, as it will get TOO BIG - better to do smaller topic but well, as broad and poorly. ultimately its up to you and do what your more personally interested in.

avhead

HSC
Brilliant, actually I would prefer to focus more on the alternative sites, I've read nearly the entire government report LOL, as long as it's on topic then I'm happy because it's something that I genuinely enjoy doing and comes easy to me as it's along my career interests path. Thanks for the advice! :)

(Personally for me, those erosion/physical geography topics I find a bit more boring.... yeah I'm probably one of the few that's like that)

Also, what are some good primary resources to do on this sort of topic? The secondary stuff is easy.

pmescotty

HSC
wow the etire report, your keen.
yeah the alt sites probs more on line with geog, rather than the econ stuff

avhead

HSC
Yeah I've been extremely bored these holidays, been sick most of the time, and my PC is dead so no games. -_-
Still an interesting read though, especially as the government have taken their time to get their a$$ into gear about it.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Primary resources btw?
You could try interviewing people in the immediate area. Similarly you could dig up some interviews conducted by the media regarding the issue.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps you could narrow it down to see how the potential development (in Badgery's Creek for simplicity) would affect the economic and social dynamics of the immediate area?

avhead

HSC
I live near the current airport though .... so wouldn't it be a bit harder? Or would I still be OK to do that as well? I just thought it'd be a bit simpler considering it's closer to me and I tried to narrow it down maybe to more the local area? But I'm not sure how I could do that.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)