• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

My society and Culture PIP- The role of colour in our culture- (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keat

HSC
I am currently in year 12, hence undertaking my Personal Interest Project (PIP) for my school subject society and culture. My topic is the role of colour in our culture. It would be of my great interest if you could take just a few minutes out of your day to please fill in my questionnaire. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Age Group
Under 13-
14-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61 and over

1. Is colour important in your life? If yes, in what ways?

2. Is your favourite colour a reflection of your personality? Why do you like that colour?

3. What does (the colour) black signify for you?

4. Does the colour black represent harsh connotations for you e.g. bad, negative or evil things? If so, what are these?

5. Do you believe the colour black should be strictly worn as funeral attire? If not when would you wear black?

6. Do you believe black people are treated differently to others because of black stereotypes?

7. Name some black stereotypes you are aware of.

8. Any extra feedback or comments:

blond_e

HSC
Age Group
14-20

Not really, although I unintentionally do sport certain colours.

2. Is your favourite colour a reflection of your personality? Why do you like that colour?
Yes it is. My favourite colour is pink and pink has a connotation of fun and happiness which are also traits of my personality. I like it because it's bright and fun.

Depression, mourning

4. Does the colour black represent harsh connotations for you e.g. bad, negative or evil things? If so, what are these?
nope

5. Do you believe the colour black should be strictly worn as funeral attire? If not when would you wear black?
No. I think black also looks great when worn formally or even worn casually. If black was my colour and if it suited me I'd wear it when ever, but I'd wear different colours to deplete the dullness from my outfit.

6. Do you believe black people are treated differently to others because of black stereotypes?
yep yep!

ok I'm not sure whether you mean black people or black the colour but here's both;

black people; vulgar, uneducated, criminals, dangerous, poor

black the colour; mourning, depression.

hey I hope this helps. Thanks for answering my survey. I hate these things I have like 4 major works. This topic is really unusual and interesting but that's good. I'd hate to do a topic that everyone's doing. Most people are doing gender inequities, sport or media.

BronwynKate

HSC
21-30 (23 years 21.3.1983)

Yes. It tells me the state of a thing, and it attracts me a great deal. I especially love bright colours and rainbows, but I also understand positively and resonate with neutrals. I especially love colour in nature and fashion magazines, and contrasts get me going.

My favourite colour was at first orange, and then green. Both of them express aspects of my personality. Orange expresses my happy and bouncy side, and green expresses my environmentalist sentiments and my more moderate times.

For me principally it is generally a contrast with white. It is a very powerful, professional and arresting colour. It signifies the absence of light. And my new computer (which came to me in February 2006) is black so that makes it fast and effective and professional too. I generally have positive to neutral associations with this colour. When I was a mid-teenager I did not wear too much black as I thought it would make me sad.

Yes, it does. Narrow-mindedness and intolerance.

I tend to like the more browny-forms of black as they are more human. Pure black tends to rather put me off. It makes me think of Adrian Mole's room and how he painted the Noddies black.

Not really. I wear black when I want to impress someone or look professional.

Monty Prior has a great deal of this in his book Maybe Tomorrow. So of course does Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. They explain it much much better than I can. I will cite sources accordingly.

Black - jazz - black and blue (they get into fights). If you're black you're a real cool cat and inscrutable and seductive.
The black dog - which is really rather a cute and endearing way to trivialise a serious condition such as depression

None just now. I think my black thoughts are very different from the majority of the population.

Do let us know how your survey goes. Very often these things are lost to follow up.

sim10

HSC
age group: 14-20

1. yes, different colours make me feel different ways. for example, bright colours often make me feel happier & more confident then when i am surrounded by dull colours.

2. my fav colours are bright orange and lime green (i painted my furniture these colours). i think they are a reflection of my personalityas they are bright and bubbly like i am. i guess that's why i like them.

3. goth, emo. i hate to be stereotypical, but that's the truth

4. yes, it represents negative feelings to me.

5. no, but there should be limitations. black always looks best when teamed with another colour.

6. yes

7. black people - poor, bludgers, crimminals
black colour- sad, negative, dark

goodluck. i had to do my irp for cafs and i hated it so i feel sorry for you. i got a reasonably good mark though.

rhia

salty
HSC
Age Group: 14-20

i think "important" is an exaggeration, although i do enjoy colour. i enjoy colour in that it, to be uncreative, is "colourful", and adds variety to things such as flowers and scenery, clothes and cars, fruits and vegetables.

i think that sitting around thinking of things to define one's personality is pointless. you aren't the colours that you like. i like blue, but blue hardly reflects my personality. while one person who likes purple may think that that colour is representative of them - bewitched, regal - the feelings impressed on different people by different colours... is different. you can't define yourself by a concept that isn't concrete. if i'm blue, what am i to someone who perceives blue to be melancholy, when i had seen it as being reflective of my serenity?

my answer to this is subjective, and it has its roots in religion: black to me signifies darkness, evil.

only in certain contexts does black represent these things to me. however, generally, black shoes are hardly negative or evil shoes.

no, i don't think that it should be worn strictly worn as funeral attire. one size doesn't fit all: one vivacious now-deceased person might request that the attendants of his or her funeral wear pink. i would not wear black when participating in activities related to my religion, or in associating with other members of it.

from what i hear, yes: but i've never experienced, or even witnessed it first hand.

i don't think that i am even aware of any stereotypes with base: what i'm aware of seems to be just baseless, racial stereotypes, e.g. 'you're black, therefore you're lowly.'

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Age Group: 14-20

Colour makes things more interesting, particularly when I'm reading textbooks and non-fiction books, colour does make that difference for me.

I just like blue, don't know why.

It symbolises dullness, black is anything but colourful.

Funeral, darkness.

Yes, would also wear a black suit to a formal event.

Yes, blacks are not treated fairly due to some stereotypes.

The stereotypes that "they do not belong here", "they are outsiders"

ForG0tenSouL

HSC
Age Group
14-20

no not really improtant but i do like it

No mine is Emerald Green and i dont think it does reflect my personality i like the color cos it reminds me of peoples eyes that are green *sso beautiful*

Goth, darkness, the end, fear, death, solitude, mysterious, sexy peace hmm i think thats it

umm yes it does and it doesn't words that are negative death, fear, darkness, alone and depressed

No i believe it can be worn anywear, i do wear black quiet a bit when i dont go to school and places where my parents preffer me to wear something more "Normal" like visiting grandparents *dont want to scare them T_T*

Yes of course they are in fact i believe everyone is treated differently because of stereotyping just because of what they associate with a particular group or image they are seen different and theirfore are treated different.

Color- death, morning, depression, goth
People-bad people, criminals, dont belong here, immoral, no standards lower than white people.

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Age Group
14-20

It affects what I wear, and what mood I'm in....and they can overlap. For example, I wear black when I'm feeling low.

Green just appeals to my eyes. I just love the look of it; its depth and clarity.

Refusal to see light. The 'Emo' kids wear it, because it signifies to them that they are depressed, or associated with some sort of 'scene'.

It represents negative feelings and attitudes.

As I said before, black is a colour that's usually worn by someone who is identified as being 'emo', or whatever, so it's just a representation of style.

Yes.

That 'black people' are gangsters, hip hip deviants, deliquents, etc.

Good luck on this. I heard of someone getting a really good mark for doing the same topic once.

Kulazzi

HSC
Age Group
14-20

Female

Colour allows me to express myself for example, through the type of clothes I wear (if it's black = sad, neutral = neutral, bright = happy). It also helps in learning and identifying certain objects.

My favourite colour is red however red seems to symbolise dominance, authority and power which is not what I am. Maybe I like this colour because of the characteristics it shows but that doesn't really necessary reflect my personality

goth, depressed, sad, emo

yes, negativity is definitely one connotation. Not so much evil though.

This question would only apply to Christians and/or Amish (Hindus wear white) so I don't think this is an appropriate question however the answer will be no either way. I would wear black on any occassion.

:uhhuh:

rap/hiphop/r'n'b music lovers, thiefs/commit crime, "dirty", "negro", poor

Not really :)

lizzy1

HSC
N/A
Age Group
14-20

yes colour is important to me because i fell that represents how either i feel or whether im putting on a brave face etc. i also think that it brings out how others feel, so yes it is important i think

well my favourite colour is green and i think that it only plays a small part in my personality...however orange is another favourite colour of mine and i feel that when i wear it it makes me feel more myself
to me black represents death destruction devil unhappy

yeh i think that it does i think it represents the ones that you sad because it is sort of a depressing colour

not sure i think that black is a colour is to wear at funerals however i do wear black occasionally and its not always the timesthat i am felling depressed

is some instances yes but times have changed through generations and black ppl i fell are more repected to be equal these days as they wreent in the past...as a county i fell that we have changed our attitudes towards blakc ppl

not real sure

good luck im currently in yr 12 and doin a pip too but im yet to pic a topic all the best with yours

the hsc sucks

HSC
Age Group
14-20

yes, i like wearing bright coloured clothes and my walls are painted yellow. I also find that colour is good to use when talking to young children as a means to communicate, ie identifying colours.

I like a range of colours, but the ones i prefer are the colours i can wear, as being a redhead, it can limit the colours available.

Black, when worn in small amounts eg a top or worn to a formal occasion, signifues style. Unfortunately,with todaysonslaught of emos, it is very difficult to wear black without being seen as one.

It doesn't, but i do think there is too much emphasis on it within the emo subculture. People who wear black a lot often think they are being different, but are usually only conforming

No i belive it can be wornin many situations and i dont believe it should be the sole colour for funerals. There was a funeral in the media recently where everyone wore a pink shirt because the deceased male liked pink shirts.

Yes, but so are blondes and redheads. There are many groups who are targeted in society, but it is only the racial differences that cause this widespread discrimination

I am not aware of any.

8. Any extra feedback or comments:[/quote]
Hope your PIP goes well. I did one this year myself, and it was'nt easy, but really rewarding to get done. My only tip cos all of them are different, is have more than one copy saved. that way u wont have to do wat i did and type it all up at 12am the week before its due

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)