• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

My Taxfile Number (1 Viewer)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hey guys,

i applied for a taxfile number online (i know i know....a bit late huh!). i did it a few weeks ago online, and i still haven't recieved it. i need it soon because i start working next week...does anyone know if this is normal for the ato to take so long with appliations online?

what should i do otherwise?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I've had mine for years, thinking back I don't remember it taking very long.

Keep in mind, the ATO, like all organisations, would slow down dramatically at this time of year. If it hasn't arrived by the time you start working, talk to your employer and explain the situation.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
hey guys,

i applied for a taxfile number online (i know i know....a bit late huh!). i did it a few weeks ago online, and i still haven't recieved it. i need it soon because i start working next week...does anyone know if this is normal for the ato to take so long with appliations online?

what should i do otherwise?
you should have applied through your school
I didn't know you could apply online, but even if u can I think you have yo go in and show them ID and other relevant documents - you don't have to do this if you apply through your school. Maybe this is the problem...

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
nah nah, they asked all these questions, i asnwered them, mainly passport number, etc etc...residency stuff...i asnwered em all online. i was suposed to apply through school kept procrastinating..

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
what the hell am i supposed to do......anyone...

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
wot if u forgot ur no. where u go to get it again?..i got it in like yr 9 and i chucked the letter away..

Scanorama

HSC
Enoch: Call the Tax office and they will ask you a number of personal questions like name, DOB, Address, etc etc.

enitya_25: Give the tax office a call after 2/1/2006. In the meantime, tell your employer your application is still in process. They will withhold your paid to 50% or whatever the greatest tax bracket is. However as soon as you get the tax file number, they will return it to you.

I applied mine through the school, got it in 4 weeks.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
thanks heaps scanorama...i'll do that. but why after 2/1/06? is it public hol/closed till then?

HSC
Scanorama said:
I applied mine through the school, got it in 4 weeks.
same, actually our school pulled their weight on this one - one of the teachers came around and handed out application forms. i filled it out and handed it in back to school, got my TFN within a month.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
yeah cheers scanorama

and yeah our skool we were like almost forced to do it during some random course lol

Scanorama

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
thanks heaps scanorama...i'll do that. but why after 2/1/06? is it public hol/closed till then?
Acutally I think they will open on 28-30/12, so you may like to call them during those days. I doubt they will close for the whole week lol.

lol our school didn't exactly force us to apply, but the career advisor mentioned many times about the benefit of having one. I applied in year 10, didnt actually use it until last year when I finished year 12.

Last edited:

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
yeah you're right. i was to apply too, i had the form and everything, but there was always something in the way, i always had something better to do. i kept putting it off, then we graduated....hehe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)