• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mystic River (1 Viewer)

iSam

HSC
I've chosen to do Mystic River as a text for a homework assignment, and I just wanted to know if anyone could help me out with a few things:

- Values presented in the text
- Ways in which it reflects society
- Techniques used

Thanks for any help.

jimi_robbie

HSC
We only brielfy looked at Mystic River, but there was one value that I came across that I thought was interesting, and that was the role of the police.
The value of the police force is commonly represented in crime fiction texts, and is more commonly seen as representing police as "dumb", and often not very useful or effective (just take a look at the Simpsons!!!)
In Mystic River (particularly looking at the scene where the girl's body is discovered) there are several groups of police standing around without being useful, and there is even one telling a joke at the crime scene with other policemen. I suggest that you go back to this scene and analyse the way that the police force is represented, because it makes a direct comment on the role/effectiveness of police in today's society.
Also, considering the way justice is valued, take an indepth look at the final scene where Sean Penn puts his sunglasses on after making eye contact with Kevin Bacon (I think it was Kevin Bacon anyway... check that too!! haha). Analyse the way that justice is served (or not served), and look at the suggestion that putting on the sunglasses symbolises - I took it to be a sort of "cover up" in a way... just putting on the glasses makes the crime that Penn committed sort of "go away" (I hope you understand what I mean!!)
So basically, considering those scenes, look at/consider/ analyse the role of police, and justice, as values in the text.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but there is a start for you.
Good luck with your homework assignment!!
And by the way, my teacher thought that Mystic River made a great related material, so good choice!!

jimi_robbie

HSC
Ps. For techniques, analyse the ways in which lighting and music is used to achieve a certain mood in various scenes!!
Good luck!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)