Nebuchanezzar's Signature... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i would like to voice my objection to Nechebuzzbuzzar's (however you spell it) signature...

Laws grind the poor, and rich men rule the law - whatever, comrade.

The verdict acquit the raven, but condemns the dove - the verdict is given by the arbiter of guilt, the jury, not by lawyers. moreover, if the dove is indeed innocent, then it must have been a miscarriage of justice, leading to a mistrial.

Nothing but common sense, and relatively clean fingernails - oh yes, and that's why our 'common sense' Corporations Law is thousands of pages long. 'common sense' indeed.

The purpose of the law is not to prevent future offense, but to punish the one actually committed - actually criminal law is intended to do both. sentencing is intended both to deter future conduct and to punish the offender. in no way are sentences supposed to be retributive.

Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law - yes, i agree that members of the legislative should all be, without exception, law-abiding citizens.

The strictest law sometimes becomes the severest injustice - first, the bulk of 'laws' nowadays are made by the very same responsible and representative government we as citizens vote in and trust. second, the harshness of the common law has long been ameliorated by equitable principles.

geez Nebuchanezzar - can you do better than try to dig up Dickensian quotes to try to insult us? go survey a rock or something.

Last edited:

Demandred

HSC
Ahh d/w frigy :) he's just a bit cranky because he lost the argument in the bitch thread he made :bomb:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Is this the accountant that hates lawyers? He seems like a toss, I saw his sig tho and just thought he was some ranting first year 'commy' law student.

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Where better to crusade against the study of law and its ends, than in a forum populated by law students?

I honestly don't see what you're trying to achieve, Nebuchadnezzar. Do you think that we'll see your vitriol and suddenly think 'holy shit! The law is a complete bitch!', withdraw from our studies, and dedicate our lives to composing poetry? Or rather, do you expect all the other members of this site to see your argument, think 'this Nebuchadnezzar chap really knows the score. I'm glad he warned me about the law and all those who study it, because boy-howdy, I never would have known how bad it was!', crown you their king, and stage a protest in George St against 'the law' after burning down the Downing Centre?

Honestly, why are you even bothering to tell us how 'inferior' our degree program happens to be, and how much injustice the Daily Telegraph tells you is rife in our legal system?

Oh that's right, you have no purpose. You're just trolling.

santaslayer

HSC
lol, he's free to say whateva the hell he wishes, although u r too. :)

everyone happy happy.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It seems to me that this thread is just one giant flame post, I guess the laws of this forum dictate that some of the posts in this thread are breaking the rules, and should be dealt with accordingly.

not-that-bright said:
Is this the accountant that hates lawyers? He seems like a toss, I saw his sig tho and just thought he was some ranting first year 'commy' law student.
I don't know where you got the idea that I'm a commerce student from, and even then if you had have read Frigids post you probably could have ascertained that I am indeed a science student. I guess you're not all that bright (lol, what a pun).

Now, as for the purpose of that signiture, it was not intended to insult the Faculty of law of any university. No, rather it's merely meant to point out that our current system (the one all you people are studying) of law, in any country is flawed. If you walk past the entrance to the Library Stage 2 entrance at UNSW I believe it's quite a struggle to find any quote that points out the flaws in the law. I could be wrong, I only walk past there twice a week usually, but as of yet I've only seen pro-law quotes. I suppose that's all you can expect from a faculty that studies it. I wouldn't expect the Faculty of Science to have a bunch of quotes knocking science, but that quote board is far too biased for my liking.

the verdict is given by the arbiter of guilt, the jury, not by lawyers. moreover, if the dove is indeed innocent, then it must have been a miscarriage of justice, leading to a mistrial.
Is that to say a dove has never been wrongly convicted? Once again, it's just offering another viewpoint of our beloved system of law. Of course, that's a rarity, but it does happen.

first, the bulk of 'laws' nowadays are made by the very same responsible and representative government we as citizens vote in and trust. second, the harshness of the common law has long been ameliorated by equitable principles.
I certainly didn't vote them in, nor do I trust them at the state or federal level. Second, there are still points within the law (a rapist getting 10 years or whatever, and then getting 3 years for every offence after that?) that are indeed the severest injustices of all (apart from maybe the death penalty). These injustices are the biggest problems with the law, and the judges that were once law students like yourselves.

Ahh d/w frigy he's just a bit cranky because he lost the argument in the bitch thread he made
Go get me a neutral party who has no history on this board and ask them to examine who 'won' the argument. I thought it was fairly even to be honest.

Where better to crusade against the study of law and its ends, than in a forum populated by law students?
The blind law student believes that BOS is populated in the majority by law students? Alas, I did give a reason for putting that signiture here - I could go and buy a piece of glass, write quotes on it and put it up near the library stage 2 entrance if I wanted to and had money, however the current way I'm doing it is cheaper and is attracting more attention than I thought it would get. I mean, it's even got it's own thread? Oooh controversy.

I honestly don't see what you're trying to achieve, Nebuchadnezzar. Do you think that we'll see your vitriol and suddenly think 'holy shit! The law is a complete bitch!', withdraw from our studies, and dedicate our lives to composing poetry? Or rather, do you expect all the other members of this site to see your argument, think 'this Nebuchadnezzar chap really knows the score. I'm glad he warned me about the law and all those who study it, because boy-howdy, I never would have known how bad it was!', crown you their king, and stage a protest in George St against 'the law' after burning down the Downing Centre?
First and foremost, I'd like to enlighten you as to the fact that there is no letter 'd' in my username. Putting a 'd' in there does not make it seem like you have greater historical or theological knowledge regarding the origins of the name Nebuchadnezzar, of which my username is based, not enirely copied from.

And no, that signiture is hardly meant to do that, as I said it's merely what could be considered my interpretation and rebuttal to the great quote board at UNSW.

Honestly, why are you even bothering to tell us how 'inferior' our degree program happens to be, and how much injustice the Daily Telegraph tells you is rife in our legal system?
I don't read the Daily Telegraph and quite frankly I consider it an insult for you to make those conclusions about my political and social preferences. I also don't believe I ever said your degree is inferior, I said it was useless in that everything that is written in the law should and is indeed common sense. In fact, there was once a man named John Mortimer who gave the quote "No brilliance is needed in the law. Nothing but common sense and relatively clean fingernails." How true that is, and it was said by an experienced law graduate who happens to be more experience in the field of law then any of you here. I'll take his word for it over yours, and hence that's why that part is in the signiture :p

You're just trolling.
Not true, I merely voice my opinion on all matters including the field of law. The idea of free speech is a concept that the public has fought for, for many hundreds of years and until the last few centuries it has been denied (and still is in some countries). Surely a liberal, intelligent, foward thinking law student like yourself has respect for the right of free speech, yeah?

Anyway, trolling is the idea of going somewhere to look for an argument. I:

a) Never came here looking to 'duke' it out with law students, contrary to what some of you may believe.

b) Only made my first negative comment toward the study of law at about my 70th post, and even then that post in the law building topic was not meant to be taken too seriously. It did escalate from there due to the efforts of Moonlight Sonata and Frigid, and hence is it not they who are guilty of trolling?

c) Added this signiture a few months after our loving debacle was over, not to capture their attention and start this thread, but to simply add something new to my signiture that had a few sentiments of mine in there, expressed in a way that is critical of both the law and the entrance to library stage 2. I rarely see any law students on this forum and the fact that it's gotten it's own thread without being seen in a new post within a law forum here is quite astounding.

lol, he's free to say whateva the hell he wishes, although u r too.
Indeed I am, although this particular law student doesn't seem to enjoy the idea of free speech. Let us hope that he never gains a position of great power in society.

----

Maybe I should go to that presentation by Michael Kirby, and sit there quietly and listen to what he has to say. I have no qualms in admitting that he's most porbably a much better aurator and philosopher than I am and perhaps a presentation by him would enlighten me on the idea of law. I guess I'd have to wear a wig or something so no-one recognises me, for the purpose of protecting myself from angry law students.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I guess you're not all that bright (lol, what a pun).
Shut the fuck up please. As for the rest, sorry if you thought otherwise, but I don't really care what your opinion is about law/society/the law faculty at unsw - I just think your sig shows you to be a wank, gg.

Last edited by a moderator:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Shut the fuck up please, faggot. As for the rest, sorry if you thought otherwise, but I don't really care what your opinion is about law/society/the law faculty at unsw - I just think your sig shows you to be a wank, gg.
lol ntb = pwned. It even says it in the original post. Bsc physical geography

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Maybe I should go to that presentation by Michael Kirby, and sit there quietly and listen to what he has to say.
I think that is a great idea :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar - The first member to have his signiture honoured with its own thread.
No you're not. For one example, there was that thread about my nazi sig that Zahid got 40 PM's about.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lol ntb = pwned. It even says it in the original post. Bsc physical geography
Do I have to go through that huge long post and pull out random shit to epeen for you?

In fact, there was once a man named John Mortimer who gave the quote "No brilliance is needed in the law. Nothing but common sense and relatively clean fingernails." How true that is, and it was said by an experienced law graduate who happens to be more experience in the field of law then any of you here. I'll take his word for it over yours, and hence that's why that part is in the signiture :p
There, read that, the problem should be self-evident if you're using some wits.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Lol, the typos there are quite abundant aren't they? It's kinda sad that you went through all of that post and the best thing you could come up with was a paragraph with a few typos...tsk tsk tsk.

No you're not. For one example, there was that thread about my nazi sig that Zahid got 40 PM's about.
Damnit, I'll remove it from my signiture then.

I think that is a great idea
Is that to say it's open to all students, and the public alike? It's free right?

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Is that to say it's open to all students, and the public alike? It's free right?
Yes it is free and yes other students can attend (though it will pretty much just be UNSW law students).

This may also be of interest:
Nicholas Cowdery QC, Director of Public Prosecutions NSW will be speaking on the topic "Crime Under the Rule of Law".

Day: Thursday 8 June (Week 14)
Time: 6pm

Mr Cowdery will discuss what the 'rule of law' means to the justice system and to the community. In particular he will examine the mass media’s reporting of crime, the politicial reactions to such reporting and the recent developments in the justice system (including extended detention for sex offenders, majority jury verdicts, special procedures for the trial of sex offences, anti-terrorism laws and procedures and sedition).

hYperTrOphY

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Yes it is free and yes other students can attend (though it will pretty much just be UNSW law students).

This may also be of interest:
Does 'other students' extend to non-UNSW students?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Lol, the typos there are quite abundant aren't they? It's kinda sad that you went through all of that post and the best thing you could come up with was a paragraph with a few typos...tsk tsk tsk.
No, not the typo's, think about your argument? what is wrong with it exactly?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
hYperTrOphY said:
Does 'other students' extend to non-UNSW students?
It does not say 'public lecture', unlike some other events, so my guess would be no.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Nebuchanezzar said:
First and foremost, I'd like to enlighten you as to the fact that there is no letter 'd' in my username. Putting a 'd' in there does not make it seem like you have greater historical or theological knowledge regarding the origins of the name Nebuchadnezzar, of which my username is based, not enirely copied from.

Also, your assumption that I am a 'liberal minded' law student is false. I am conservative. Incredibly conservative. I think free speech is a joke personally, if said speech opposes the will of the state (or more accurately, what I believe). When this way of thinking happens to oppose whatever ends I am trying to achieve at the time, I'll probably change camps; until then, I'm quite happy supporting it.

Also, I believe that law is largely controlled by the rich and that injustice often results from that, and I love it. The dove should have got a more expensive lawyer if it wanted to be free that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)