Need advice. Should I drop ext 1 math? (1 Viewer)

HSC
yoakim said:
Haha I'm keeping ext1 maths even though I don't know more than about 20% of the content that we learnt from prelim (serious about that). My average marks from last year were about 10-35%, where in the yearly I got 15%. I havn't done ext 1 homework for a while lol, yet I'm still keeping it for year 12, only to help me in 2u maths...eventhough I know it's not going to count in my other 10 units.

Basically, if you know that dropping it won't hurt, then keep it. If you know that you will benefit HEAPS if you drop it, then drop it.
Its only an extra unit, and it will help your two unit work. There were topics I learned for three unit (which wasnt too hard at all) which is also covered in two unit. I learned the three unit method and had no trouble with anything that two unit topic threw at me. It was the case for a couple of topics in the course.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
watatank said:
Its only an extra unit, and it will help your two unit work. There were topics I learned for three unit (which wasnt too hard at all) which is also covered in two unit. I learned the three unit method and had no trouble with anything that two unit topic threw at me. It was the case for a couple of topics in the course.
Thanks I'll take note of that, even though the questions on area and volume of curves in the Maths in Focus textbook is bullshit ...

Bl0nDi3

HSC
Id suggest dropping it. If you'r doing much better in your other subjects why keep it? I made that mistake last year and put alot of effort improving my mark...in the end its only one unit doesnt make that much of an impact on your uai only takes time you could be spending on your 10units

CramMaster

HSC
Right now I'm just trying to learn by myself (without any tuition) and currently I'm beginning to enjoy ext1 math.

I guess my end of term assessments are going to be the best indicator of whether I should drop it or not.

G

gaoOO

watatank said:
that's a good point. For example, 2u course doesn't do polynomials if i remember correctly, but with a lot of "calculus" questions, polynomials gives you the curve and then just find critical points, while most 2u students go through the whole process to sketch the curve.

amisha_amisha

I'm a Title now?
HSC
CramMaster said:
Hey guys. Right now I'm doing Ext1 Math, Ext2 Eng, Economics and Ancient History.

Its now Term 2, and I really feel like dropping ext1 math (weird yea...for an asian :p). I love my other subs including 2U math, but 3 Unit math is seriously giving me a hard time. I'm not motivated to do any hw, and I got 35% in my last assessment. Its just that I find it really risky if I do only 10 units...but I will feel so much better?

What do you guys suggest? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks!
Drop Extension 1 Maths - it's just going to drag down not only your UAI, but you're going to be dragging down your class and your school. If you fail your Extension Math course it may be disastrous to your UAI - if you also fail your other subjects. You have to be consistent in all your courses to do well in the UAI and not be too affected. Think about it this way - all that extra time you "waste" on Extension Maths could be easily spent on 2Unit Math or your other subject...giving them more time and thus, acheiving higher grades and getting a better UAI.

DROP IT.

HSC
amisha_amisha said:
Drop Extension 1 Maths - it's just going to drag down not only your UAI, but you're going to be dragging down your class and your school. If you fail your Extension Math course it may be disastrous to your UAI - if you also fail your other subjects. You have to be consistent in all your courses to do well in the UAI and not be too affected. Think about it this way - all that extra time you "waste" on Extension Maths could be easily spent on 2Unit Math or your other subject...giving them more time and thus, acheiving higher grades and getting a better UAI.

DROP IT.
It's not going to drag down his UAI since they only count the top ten units.... (and maths ext is his eleventh unit) so really this can be his non serious unit (that doesnt count) which helps with two unit math that WILL count...Chances are there are people going worse than him and if even if he is the worst of the worst its not much of a detriment to the class then is it, because then he is the outlier?

See the "wasted" time doing three unit can save you much work you do in two unit...and besides, more time on your hands doesnt necessarily mean you will do more work. An extra unit isn't going to be that much harder...

Meh I just see it as too early to drop it. After half yearlies I can understand, but I've been in a situation where I thought that Ext math wasn't going to count before (I failed the first assessment task) but i ended up doing eleven units and it ended up counting to my UAI because I tried harder in it. If there's no improvement and its just getting way too hard its ridiculous then sure drop it. But now it's too early. Give it time you have plenty of it...

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
haha had a 3u exam today, seriously estimating that I wll get 35% at max

King2

HSC
Funnily enough, I dropped ext 1 mathematics at the end of last year. Although I was sound at it, it affected my other subjects since I was spending a lot of time on extension.

So what happened after? My results have been much better than what they were last year and it definitely was the right thing to do so in my opinion, drop it.

m Renira

HSC
honestly i think that you need to do what you think is best, 3U is alot of work for just one unit, and its only going to help you in your HSC if you do it well.
if your not willing to put the work in then the way i see it is to drop it and focus your energies on the subjects that you actually like, and are motivated for.
but in the end you need to decide for yourself,
what are you comfortable doing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)