• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need advice (1 Viewer)

HandsomeDank

HSC
I do 6 subjects atm, going into yr 12 I will most likely be getting a new teacher who has never taught ancient before. The teacher taught the other class originally, however, the only comments I've had about the class were negative. Ancient isn't something I'm passionate about and is a subject I was forced into picking because of my bum school.

My yr11 experience wasn't bad but my question really is should I keep a 6th subject?

Mikrodd

HSC
I'm assuming you have 6 subjects that are 2 units each:

Having 12 units in year 12 would be good because if u absolutely bomb a subject, that subject won't contribute to your atar as only your top 10 units contribute. But then again, keeping 12 units would mean you have less time to spend on your other subjects, which could be bad if you do harder or more content heavy subjects.

However, if u aren't passionate about ancient I feel like you should drop it, especially if the teacher isn't experienced as I have found that you need an experienced teacher for history subjects otherwise it's just a bludge. I personally also do ancient and am planning to drop it for yr 12 because I don't have the passion for it and struggle with the in-class exams as I don't have enough knowledge to yap about the topics.

Some people have said yr 12 ancient is more interesting than yr 11 tho, so idk. If you are doing alright in ancient and want to have a back up subject in case anything happens, I reckon you should keep it. Otherwise drop it.

iloveeggs

future cat lady <3
HSC
I do 6 subjects atm, going into yr 12 I will most likely be getting a new teacher who has never taught ancient before. The teacher taught the other class originally, however, the only comments I've had about the class were negative. Ancient isn't something I'm passionate about and is a subject I was forced into picking because of my bum school.

My yr11 experience wasn't bad but my question really is should I keep a 6th subject?
is the teacher and their resources so bad you'll have to pretty much self study?
will doing ancient be a burden for you? (emotional, in terms of workload etc.)?
will dropping 2 units of ancient to 10 units mean you will put in more effort into your other subjects and do better in them?

if your answers to these questions are yes you should drop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)