need constructive criticism (1 Viewer)

Timothy-

HSC
I have been asked to write an essay on
the tempest
where the wild things are
and the exract of the wind and the willows
so far this is what i have got and i just want to know if i am just retelling the story or actually writing somthing good.
you can use what i have wrote here for your own essays if you want
the questions was:
“The imaginative journey expands the traveller’s understanding of themselves and the world.” – Discuss

An imaginative journey can be an intentional or unintentional experience that transforms both the traveller and the responder. This transformation can open up an understanding of both their nature and the world around them. This idea of transformations through an imaginative journey can be seen throughout the history of literature and will be examined in the Elizabethan romantic The Tempest, written by Shakespeare, The novel excerpt The Wind and the Willows by Kenneth Grahame and the picture book Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. These texts, all contain an imaginative journey through which characters undergo a transformation enhancing their understanding of themselves and the world around them.

Within The Tempest, the imaginative journey is conducted through the use of the protagonist, Prospero. Although Prospero does in the end obtain his goals, it is the imaginative journey that transforms him to realise his faults and attempt to correct them. Unknowingly Prospero also directs the other characters on a journey of self discovery even though his initial intentions were self serving. This is evident in Ferdinand’s transformation and imaginative journey.

Prospero is introduced to the audience as an enigmatic figure who has a quick temper and at times seen as cruel. This impression of Prospero is created through his conversations with Miranda in which he constantly asks if she if listening “… And sucked my vendure out on’t – thou attend’st not!” and his relationship with Caliban. Caliban represents the dark within Prospero. His dislike for him is shown through his aggressive tone used when addressing Caliban, which is created by the repetition of the word devil. “A devil, a born devil, on whose nature / Nurture can never stick…” As Prospero’s journey continues he acknowledges that he also has an evil nature like Caliban by saying “This thing of darkness, I / Acknowledge mine”. In this quote the broken sentence emphasises the “I” and give the sentence a remorseful tone showing Prospero’s transformation.

In his recount of his previous role as the duke of Milan, Prospero describes himself as overly trusting and a negligent ruler leaving his political control in his brother’s hand as he indulged himself in his magic. With him admitting that it was partly his fault that he and Miranda was usurped and abandoned to the seas. “… in my false brother / Awaked an evil nature and my trust …” Prospero shows that he has already started to transform due to his stay on the island.

Throughout the play Prospero also displays a strong father like characteristics and wisdom, as his plan to unit Miranda with Ferdinand is an act to restore order and harmony and most importantly return Miranda to civilization. This side of Prospero is shown as he states to Ariel “It goes on, I see, / as my soul prompt it:” Right through his journey Ariel brings out the good side of Prospero and becomes a trigger for his growth and forgiveness. Moved by her feelings, Prospero decides that in spite of all the injustices done to him he will practice virtue not vengeance. “The rarer action is / In virtue, then vengence.” this realisation shows that he has gained a better understanding of himself and the world around him, and is further reinforced as he renounces his magic powers. “this rough magic / I here adjure” to become human again and seek compassion through his heart and not his magic.

Ferdinand’s and Miranda’s love also take part in Prospero’s imaginative journey and transformation. This is seen in his ‘dream’ speech where he creates a strong metaphor for the impermanence of human life. By contrasting mighty buildings such as “Cloud –capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, / the solemn temples, and the great globe itself…” with the mortality of death, Prospero suggests the importance of life compared to material objects, acting as a lesson to Ferdinand. Also Prospero’s use of words with strong “dream-like” connotations also illustrate that he too has noticed his age and mortality, creating a mournful and reflective tone. “…and our little life / is rounded with a sleep.”

p.s this is also my first post so if i have done something wrong eg posted this in the wrong place please tell me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)