NEED HELP FOR Australian scientists and Scientific journals (1 Viewer)

xxxcaixxx

does anyone know an australian Scientist, or actually a chemist and physicist. Can u plz give me a brief summary of some1 ur using and the scientific journals as well....
plz help me
also u can email me : lyysys@hotmail.com

THANX FOR HELP!!

Paroissien

HSC
You DO NOT need to know a named scientist. Just describe a field of science

beta-omega

Eternal Omega!
HSC
err... in fact you do... if you did read 9.1 - chemistry skills, in 12.3 e) gather information from secondary sources by: identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, the areas in which they are currently working and information about their research.

helper

HSC
N/A
The confusion is over reading a skill point as content. You do not need to describe an Australian Scientist. This would be an impossible question to mark as the variety of answers would be too diverse.

They will at some time ask about the skill.
Eg. Australian scientists are at the forefront of reasearch into alternative batteries.
Describe the techniques you would use to gather information on a practising Australian Scientist in this field.

You then would talk about the areas you would search under. Universities CSIRO, government etc.
Use google to search for Australian sites from the above types of institutions.
Describe how you make sure the information is valid and reliable.

helper

HSC
N/A
It would be a good idea to look Paroisson as it will be worth around 25% of marks in one form or another. It is the basis on which they mark practical sections.

Paroissien

HSC
Ahh that is good news. For syllabus point I was thinking off does not specify that you have to name a scientist, just know there field

Jezzabelle

ok, our teachers thought it might be likely they ask about this cos they are pushing towards these things in the School Certificate...

anyways. so we went to the computer labs and did some research one day. If you go to the CSIRO site you can find your scientists :)

http://www.publish.csiro.au/sciencereporter/home/scientists.cfm

has interviews

and also nature.com is like resource site for hundreds of science journals.

hope that helps!! :)

helper

HSC
N/A
It wouldn't surprise me if it comes up. I think it did in last years Earth and Environmental but to answer about a specific scientist would require the markers to have access to resources to look up every obscure scientist in Australia. When they have to sit in the animal halls for marking they don't have those facilities.

xxxcaixxx

thanx ppl

but I'm still confusing....do I need to know all the Australian Scientists and all the Scientific journals...otherwise how could I know which field they could be to ask.....it looks impossible to study...

Last edited:

LSP

HSC
I know Alan Walsh is an Australian male scientist who invented AAS. It was in the 2001 HSC multiple choice question q 12. But the data was given.

xxxcaixxx

So that means they will give u the data for doing that question?
That will be fine....I think they should do that..

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
There is one thing i would like to point out - they will not ask you to name and talk about a scientist. It is impossible for the HSC markers to check every answer written!

helper

HSC
N/A
They will ask you how you would go about gathering the data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)