Need help for this English Extension Question!!! (1 Viewer)

RossoneriAU

HSC
I still remember the shock I had when I first saw this one on my paper lol. My approach to this one was fairly straightforward:

Intro: 3/4 sentences demonstrating the significance of both texts in regards to how they reflect your understanding of why literary worlds are composed --> I.e. does the composition of literary worlds serve as a form of escapism from real-world struggles (this could be seen through the creation of utopian imaginary worlds) or perhaps literary worlds could serve as a form of personal reflection (I.e. through the creation of conflict between a character's private world, and the collective world around them). There are many other reasons, but they're just the two I can think of off the top of my head.

P1: Assess how and to what extent text 1 reflects this understanding. I'd say use about 3 quotes, and explain the effect of each of these before going to your linking sentence (Pretty much like a normal essay paragraph) --> I'd say focus on techniques like antithesis, motifs, metaphor/extended metaphor, and oxymoron

P2: Same structure as text 1, but I'd say focus more on voice, imagery and syntax. Again, try to pull out around 2/3 quotes, and explain each of these before linking back to question

Conclusion: 2/3 sentences rounding it all up, with a final evaluation to the extent in which both texts resonate with your understanding of why literary worlds are composed

To maximise marks, i'd say spent around 24/25 minutes on this piece as it's only 10 marks. If you're more confident with the creative, you may be able to spend a bit more time, but ultimately, it is up to you. I just thought of it like a shortened version of an English Adv. essay --> 9-10 minutes per body paragraph, 3/4 minutes for intro and 2 minutes for the conclusion.

Hope this helps! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)