Need help for year 12 units/subjects (1 Viewer)

MorashToOz

HSC
Hullo,

Recently I got my Advanced math test score back, and it is atrocious (35%, less than the class average, 44), and this has made me really reconsider continuing with mathematics in year 12; IIRC the 2025 HSC class is the last class which doesn't require mathematics as a mandatory subject, so I'm thinking of dropping math altogether in year 12. Would this choice be good or bad? I mean, I am planning to study a media and communications degree at uni and most of my subjects are structured towards that goal (ancient and modern, legal studies, society and culture), and I don't think mathematics would play an important role in that. Plus it's not like I'm gonna have to find a parabola in my everyday life to get by, let alone in a media job, so yeah.

But however my father has regularly told me I should maybe reconsider my path for the future because according to him "aLl jOuRnO JoBs wIlL Be tAkEn oVeR By aI" when I graduate. like, what the heck? I don't think AI can completely take over the media industry, but I'll leave that open to you guys for interpretation.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This is an interesting situation. You are still in year 11, which means that you still have time to work on improving your performance in Mathematics Advanced without having to worry about any of your results counting towards your HSC results. This could help you make an informed decision regarding whether to keep or drop this subject by the end of year 11, rather than now. Of course, this decision is yours to make. You know your circumstances best, including your interest in the subject, your performance potential and its relevance to your studies beyond the HSC (if any).

Looking at the career prospects for a person holding a degree such as a Bachelor of Media and Communications, it seems that there are various opportunities, extending beyond journalism. Depending on your career aspirations, this is likely promising information. In terms of AI, while there have been significant developments (including AI degrees and careers), it is generally argued that it remains in its early stages. An example of this would be a maths-focused large language model that would generate two different answers to the same question when asked twice. Additionally, there may be fields where AI may bear little to no significance, regardless of further developments.

A good way of learning about the extent to which AI might influence your field of interest would be to contact professionals in the field, as they would be able to provide useful insight that could inform your decision. LinkedIn is a platform where you can find and connect with professionals and is therefore a good starting point.

I hope this helps! :D

nitto

HSC
Hullo,

Recently I got my Advanced math test score back, and it is atrocious (35%, less than the class average, 44), and this has made me really reconsider continuing with mathematics in year 12; IIRC the 2025 HSC class is the last class which doesn't require mathematics as a mandatory subject, so I'm thinking of dropping math altogether in year 12. Would this choice be good or bad? I mean, I am planning to study a media and communications degree at uni and most of my subjects are structured towards that goal (ancient and modern, legal studies, society and culture), and I don't think mathematics would play an important role in that. Plus it's not like I'm gonna have to find a parabola in my everyday life to get by, let alone in a media job, so yeah.

But however my father has regularly told me I should maybe reconsider my path for the future because according to him "aLl jOuRnO JoBs wIlL Be tAkEn oVeR By aI" when I graduate. like, what the heck? I don't think AI can completely take over the media industry, but I'll leave that open to you guys for interpretation.
If you don't have your heart in maths, then it's best to drop it. Plus, since you don't need maths for your uni degree (but be sure that's what you want before making this choice) it's a bonus. Hypothetically, if you did need maths for uni you could always do a bridging course, but USYD ended up dropping the maths prereq anyway so you can always catch up in time. As for the AI debate, I definitely do think to some extent AI will begin to replace some mundane tasks but until it's got a lot of hurdles (on both the technological and legal side) before it can do that. Even if it were, the future's quite unpredictable so best go by what we have at present.

Oh and btw, they're considering not reinstating the mandatory maths thing after 2025 as they don't have the capacity to do so anyways. So you're okay, just have a chat with your dad about it.

kingpalindrome

HSC
Hullo,

can you drop to standard? I did that 1 month before prelims because I was in your situation, and it was the best thing I ever did - I actually ended up lowkey enjoying maths because it was so much easier, and because I enjoyed it I studied it more - sure, it might theoretically scale worse, but a 95 in standard will always be better than a 40 in advanced

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)