• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need help making a choice regarding course selection. (1 Viewer)

jackyjack

HSC
N/A
I usually don't like posting life changing decisions on the internet but I am really stumped with this one. I've been a casual visitor on this site for a while and you guys seem like a really helpful bunch, I know I've found answers to many questions in various threads. I just wanted to get some opinions.

First of all I would really like to work in IB (doesn't everyone nowdays), a large finance firm or bank. I finished my first year of doing commerce at Melbourne Uni and got an offer to do commerce/law at Monash. The big question is which course to choose? I am very interested in studying law and reckon it will really rewarding (no doubt hard though), but I definitely have no intention to ever work as a lawyer/barrister or any position that is based solely around legal work. I would only like to work within the commerce industry (very broad term I know).

So basically the only thing holding me back in Melbourne is the perception that the major companies have of it. I know there's a huge argument about which university is better and between the law faculties I do believe its a toss up but the commerce faculty in Melbourne is no doubt (from what I have heard and read) better than the one in Monash.

Added to that I have met a lot of people within the industry during my short time at Melbourne and as everyone knows business is about contacts as much as skill/knowledge. I'm not sure that Monash has the same opportunities that Melbourne does for the area I would like to work in. I have heard of very few (if any) monash students getting positions at IBs, the majority seem to come from Melbourne. Plus, i'm not compeltely sure on this one, but when hiring the interviewers don't seem to discriminate too much between single and double degrees.

However, Com/Law at Monash is still a VERY good course and I realise that after my first few jobs no oone will even care about what uni I went to and com/law will look a lot better than just commerce.

Also theres the duration, the double degree takes 5 years which is an extra 2 years i could use to get experience in the industry.

Overall I have no idea and would really like to hear some opinions.

Thanks

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Dilemma. Most IB grads are from Melb.. maybe 1 in 10 are from Monash. But I've never seen a straight comm grad who didn't do honours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)