• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need help TY :) (2 Viewers)

xnightk1dx

HSC
Choose one text which you think effectively presents the idea that 'journeys always involve change'. Present a 3 minute speech which discuss the nature of the journey in this piece of material and your core class text.(The Tempest)

You will be asssessed on how well you:
1.Explain the concept of journey as it relates to the quote, your chosen text and your core text
2.Explain the sinilarities and differeces between the way the two texts portray Journeys
3.Explain how the language/techniques of the chosen texts shape their meaning
4.Use speaking conventions to engage the audience
5.Use sophisticated ideas and language

I am really stuck with this one, can anyone plz give me a example or list the things i should do? and plz explain what is the nature of the journey , what would be a suitable text for this speech, TY

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Well, the easiest thing is to look at your list of outcomes and simply answer them.

1. You have to build a basic thesis centred around the idea of change. How does the concept of change relate to 'the journey'? Journeys usually revolve around a change bringing about a growth or enlightenment. Select the ideas in your two texts that involve change; these can be changes in location, state-of-mind, temperament, attitude, outlook, position in society etc. etc. The nature of the journey usually involves simply identifying the type of journey (phys, inner, imag) and the occurences that make it a journey (movement, travel, trauma, imaginative experiences). But, the nature also relates to the concept that you're discussing: change. What is the nature of the journey in relation to change; how and when is change protrayed, what do the changes say about journeys (ie. do journeys create change, does change inspire journeys, what on these journeys brings about a change).

2. Do as it says. First off, identify the ways the two texts portray journeys. Then choose which are similar; all the others are different. These methods of portrayal can be anything, from as simple as being positive vs. negative experiences to being complicated, such as one being a change in spiritual identity and the other being a change in physical location. It just depends on what texts you choose.

3. Techniques are extremely important. They seem trivial, and an odd thing to discuss, but they should make up a great deal of your essays. And don't just list techniques, and examples. Explain how the techniques are used by the composer and how they affect the way in which we or the character experience the journey or how they shape the journey. For instance, in films, camera angles and particular methods of editing can be used to create a forbidding and dangerous imaginative world. Imagery and metaphors are often used in novels and plays to form a rich and colourful imaginative journey. It just depends on the text you're using and the argument you're trying to put forth.

4. Basically, your speech should follow the format of an essay, with a few extra bits added to your intro and conclusion. Add a welcome and a thank you. If you're a very relaxed public speaker, you can do a little more.

5. Just a given. Do your best. :)

Hope that helps and good luck.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
xnightk1dx said:
Choose one text which you think effectively presents the idea that 'journeys always involve change'. Present a 3 minute speech which discuss the nature of the journey in this piece of material and your core class text.(The Tempest)

You will be asssessed on how well you:
1.Explain the concept of journey as it relates to the quote, your chosen text and your core text
2.Explain the sinilarities and differeces between the way the two texts portray Journeys
3.Explain how the language/techniques of the chosen texts shape their meaning
4.Use speaking conventions to engage the audience
5.Use sophisticated ideas and language

I am really stuck with this one, can anyone plz give me a example or list the things i should do? and plz explain what is the nature of the journey , what would be a suitable text for this speech, TY
check your private email for some comments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)