NEED HELP! Urgent! ... in relation to 'Othello' and 'O' essays (1 Viewer)

madisonelise

HSC
i have an english exam tomorrow... what do you think would be some important points to talk about in an essay to do with othello and o??? Obviously we don't know the essay question but its good to have some universal points!

if you have anything it would be much appreciated!!!!! :D

ratcher0071

HSC
Othello:

-talk about techniques (e.g. Characters, Plot, Themes, etc...)

O:

-Since it is a movie based on a play, talk about the similarities and differences, Camera angles, lighting.

Here's a practice question:

In the movie "O" how has the director represented the play "Othello"?

bored of sc

HSC
Plots: similar storylines, complications and outcomes but different contexts.

Themes: the same for both versions. Universal and timeless since the same themes apply to two different historical, cultural and social contexts.

Characters: similar characterisation. Othello v Oden, Desdemona v Desi, Iago v Hugo, Emilia v Emily.

Techniques: Othello uses language and dramatic techniques while O uses filmic techniques.

Attached is an essay I wrote on the transformation of Othello and O. It's pretty basic but it might give you some ideas.

madisonelise

HSC
thankyouuuu :)

thanks bored_of_sc for the essay, im reading it now. You are very talented.. im getting jealous now hahaha

thanks ratcher for the practice essay

ratcher0071

HSC
madisonelise said:
thankyouuuu :)

thanks bored_of_sc for the essay, im reading it now. You are very talented.. im getting jealous now hahaha

thanks ratcher for the practice essay
More practice questions: :D

What comparisons and can be drawn between O and Othello?
What contrast is there in O and Othello?

bubblesss

HSC
talk about the various theories like psycho - analytic, feminist, marxist

HSC
i had my prelim last week and our question was:
Context shapes representation. Discuss in relation to the concept of jealousy in Shakespeare's play Othello and Tim Blake Nelson's film O.

important points-
for this question you must discuss context and how it shapes the representation of jealousy e.g.

Othello was written in the 16th century and is set in venice and Cyprus, Italian cities (cyprus was a venetian protectorate). the Elizabethans believed that the Italians were wicked people living lives of treachery, murder and loose morals thus making it the perfect setting for a tale of jealousy and deception. "Black people" were seen as hot-blooded and the elizabethans saw blood as the seat of emotions making them more vulnerable to strong emotions such as jealousy. there are other points as well

O is a 20th century adaptation of Othello set in modern day America. Violence was a major concern in America at the time and teen issues such as guns, drugs and alcohol are included in the film. The film is set in Charleston South Carolina and the area has a significant racial history, with Oden being the only black student at the school. American tragedy- flag and american colours senn in many scenes.

also there are numerous techniques and quotes that can be used
othello- "honest iago"- dramatic irony
ethos" i know our country's disposition well/ they do not show their husbands their best conscience"
foreshadowing- "but i do love thee/ and when i love thee not chaos has come again"
symbolism- handkerchief

o- simile "i always wanted to live like a hawk"
insinuations"do you trust mike", "if there is something going on, and i'm not saying their is something going on, but if there is something going on"
stmboilism- hawk symbolises Odin which is demonstrated through juxtaposed close-ups of the hawk and oden.
obvious symbolism- hugos green dorm room

also look at othello/os insecurities and why iago/hugo are jealous
othello- iago is jealous of othellos position and also believes he has slept with his wife emilia, "done my office" othello is insecure due to his age and race and iago uses these insecurities to manipulate him

o- hugo wants to be odin because of his prowess on the basketball court and his popularity. he is also jealous of the relationship oden has with his father "i love him like my own son" oden has limited racial insecurities because of modern perceptions and situations so instead hugo creates insecurities through lies and deception.

this is all stuff from the speech i had to do so i hope it helps- we focused on contexts hence all the info relating to context :rofl:

wrote this off the top of my head so i can get other info if you need it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)