• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need Help with Certain Areas and Quotes. (1 Viewer)

Enjodako

HSC
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows what I should should specifically look at for the HSC of Ancient History in the following Areas:

Greece 500-440BC
Spartan Society
Roman Society Augustus to Titus
Agrippina

Also if someone could give me some quotes to learn for the following areas, it would help emenselly. I have no idea where to focus the quotes from, but I know from which people (Plutarch, Herodutus etc.) but not which ones to focus on.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
there isn't one thing u should study more than another thing. you need to concentrate on every single topic equally.

your best bet is to get the syllabus for each topic, and under each dot point write all the information you know and quotes to support this.

in the ancient exam, they ask you questions specifically based on these dot points. so if u have information and quotes memorised from each dot point remembered, then you'll be just fine.

in terms of Greece 500-440BC. i did that as my additional historical period and i did the syllabus dot point thing and i also collected past paper questions and just wrote my answers and kept reading the essays i had written. if u write enough essays, out of the 2 options (4 if u include the other historical period) ur bound to find a question you've already answered in your study.

if your teacher hasn't given you quotes already, then you need to check out historians books. for greece 500-440BC i suggest
primary sources:
pericles,
herodotus,
plutarch,
themistocles,
thucydides,

secondary sources
bury and meiggs,
cambridge ancient history.

if you know ur info and u can back it up with quotes, then it'll be smooth sailing.

let us know if u need anything else
good luck!

p.s check this out Greece 500-440BC

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
there are a few things that you have to remember. this may not apply to the thread starter but is helpful for the 06ers. what you must remember is your concentrations or the ancient society that you are studying. (dont get this mixed up with the actual modules. i was referring to rome, greece in general).
see i had modules which interelated to each other. i was doing

minoan society (society)
the fall of the roman republic ( historical period)
augustus to titus (society)
agrippina the younger ( personality)

see what i mean? i had three modules which related to each other. therefore i studied sources which could be related to each other in my rome modules.

in addition to the above mentioned, you can use:
caesar
cicero
tacitus
syme
salmon
scullard....the list goes on

my preference is to get your hands on tacitus as he mocks the julio-claudian women. cicero can be used for critical analysis of the senate at the time.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
missgtr said:
NEVER, EVER ATTEMPT TO LEAVE STUDY FOR HISTORY TILL THE LAST MINUTE, You cannot and you will not be able to pull it off.
i did :D i studied for it the day before it and knew a lot. well enough of it i guess. we will see when i get my results :D = crap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)