Need help with electives (1 Viewer)

unfilteredwater

HSC
Hey, I am thinking of doing a science degree in order to transfer into engineering at unsw, as apparently some of the subjects overlap degrees. Was wondering if anyone could help me out as the university structure is pretty foreign to me. Where do I go to do this and see what subjects overlap.

If I could skype or ring someone that would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:

baktiar77

HSC
Hey unfilteredwater,

In your post, I think you're saying something about doing science then later transferring into Engo, so I'm bit confused, are you already at uni doing science or are you not at uni yet (year 12, gap year, sem2 enrolment)?

Personally, I think it's much easier applying directly for eng, and I'm pretty sure since you can do a science degree, you have the required atar for
engineering anyway.

I'm a first year Engo student and pretty much 90% of engo students are doing the following combination :
-Maths1131/41,
- Phys 1121/31/41,
-First Year Comp: Comp1511/1911/Eng1811
-ENGG1000

Now in a science degree, you'll likely be able to do phys 1121/31/41 and probably maths 1131/41 (though I assume these won't be recommended). I dont believe the comp and engg are offered as 'science' electives. Now there's a high chance that if you do general science degree or at least one semi-related to medicine/biology that you'll do BABS and/or CHEM, which are technically considered Engineering electives and are pretty much core topics for Biomedical Engineering, so if you're going the tough way of transferring from Science --> Engo, Biomed is best your shot.

Also, a second issue is that if you're applying for enrolment into sem2, just be wary of which subjects are offered in sem2 (or sem 1) only. Always best to visit one of the student services offices of the faculty of engineering you're interested in.

unfilteredwater

HSC
Hey unfilteredwater,

In your post, I think you're saying something about doing science then later transferring into Engo, so I'm bit confused, are you already at uni doing science or are you not at uni yet (year 12, gap year, sem2 enrolment)?

Personally, I think it's much easier applying directly for eng, and I'm pretty sure since you can do a science degree, you have the required atar for
engineering anyway.

I'm a first year Engo student and pretty much 90% of engo students are doing the following combination :
-Maths1131/41,
- Phys 1121/31/41,
-First Year Comp: Comp1511/1911/Eng1811
-ENGG1000

Now in a science degree, you'll likely be able to do phys 1121/31/41 and probably maths 1131/41 (though I assume these won't be recommended). I dont believe the comp and engg are offered as 'science' electives. Now there's a high chance that if you do general science degree or at least one semi-related to medicine/biology that you'll do BABS and/or CHEM, which are technically considered Engineering electives and are pretty much core topics for Biomedical Engineering, so if you're going the tough way of transferring from Science --> Engo, Biomed is best your shot.

Also, a second issue is that if you're applying for enrolment into sem2, just be wary of which subjects are offered in sem2 (or sem 1) only. Always best to visit one of the student services offices of the faculty of engineering you're interested in.
Hey baktiar, thanks for the great response. I am in my gap year atm, I didn't get the atar for engo (I would head straight in if I could lol) so have been recommended starting a science degree in semester 1 2018 then credit transferring. I don't want to waste a year at uni to get into engineering. When people say "Just do a year of another degree and then transfer" do they usually have subjects that line up? If I complete the maths and physics subjects in the science degree, what do I do in my first year of engineering? And do you think the workload of a science degree with the maths and physics would make it difficult to achieve the >65 WAM needed to transfer? That is a helpfull point on doing a semi-related degree.

Also another q, can you apply for sem 2 then defer a semester to start sem 1 2018?

Thank you for letting me bombard you with questions haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)