• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need some general info on the high school system (1 Viewer)

thewriter

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone!

I am currently working on a coming of age novel set in America. The problem,I didn't attend high school in this country. I'm located in Miami.

I need some help with the following:

1.How far away are final exams from graduation?

2.What happens to a student if they're suspended?(if you can explain the process)

3.What are some of the books that are mandatory to read in high school?

4. How many days before graduation,if a student is allowed to take a make test would he/she have?

5. What is the timeline between graduation and prom night?

6. is creative writing classes offered?

7. What are the times(and month)graduation and proms are usually held?

8. Can they be held on a weekend?

9. Can you still graduate if you failed your finals.

Thank you.

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Since I'm in year 12, about 8 months away

2.What happens to a student if they're suspended?(if you can explain the process)

Depending on what they did, they are not allowed to come to school for a certain number of days. Or they have to come to school but sit in the principal's office

It varies from school to school eg Pride and Prejudice, Brave New World, Shakespeare's works

It varies from school to school

Yes

Formals are usually after the HSC (final exams) have finished

Yes

yes

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
thewriter said:
Hi everyone!

I am currently working on a coming of age novel set in America. The problem,I didn't attend high school in this country. I'm located in Miami.

I need some help with the following:

4. How many days before graduation,if a student is allowed to take a make test would he/she have?

Thank you.
1. Depends on what you term as graduation - some schools hold graduation events perhaps a week before the state wide exams. If you mean official government graduation, well we recieve our certificate in the mail approximately 2 months after the last exam has finished.

2. If a student is suspended, then the principal or school head will bar the student from attendance to class or school functions for a set period of time as a reaction to something bad that the student has done.

3. There aren't really any mandatory readings that are part of the rules(ie read this or you dont graduate), we do have textbooks which are tailored to the courses however and we also have texts in the English, Drama and Language Other Than English courses that we analyse. Some of the authors of the English texts are Shakespeare, Tom Stoppard, Mark Twain, Coleridge, Jane Austen and so on.

4. For the state wide exams(which we all do), there are no make up exams but if you do miss the test and you have a valid reason they may allow you to use the results from your class tests as a replacement.

5. Varies from school to school - some don't even have proms(which are usually called formals here).

6. Creative writing is done through all levels of the English course, there is a mandatory creative writing component for all students where we must make a short story on journeys, and for those taking the Extension 1 English elective approximately 50% of the final exam involves creative writing, and the Extension 2 English has no exam but is rather a major piece of writing that you submit and may come in the form of creative writing or critical analysis.

7. Varies from school to school.

8. Yuppers.

9. There is no such thing as failing the final exam - you can recieve an extremely poor mark but you can't fail it. So as long as you do the neccesary exams you ccan graduate.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hmm this is an Australian website....but i'll try answering these questions

8 months here.

There can be inschool suspension: staying at school separated from the rest of the social organisation doing supervised work
Out of School suspension: for a few days, or a few weeks, a student must stay at home

To Kill a Mockingbird. Heart of Darkness. Any of Shakespeares plays.

Well here in Australia we graduate before the exams.

Graduation > Exams > Prom
In america its about a week or or even a few days i'm guessing

Yes. Here in NSW Australia its called English Extension 2
In america there'd be some other fancy term.

No idea. End of the Schooling year, in American isnt the end of the school year just before their summer? June? May?

Yes. Definately not on a sunday though.

You cannot fail, you can only ever get a piss poor mark!

This wont help dude, this is the Australian system, you're better of observing various American movies or something...the girl next door has a bit about graduation and formals and things

Cheers

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
luscious-llama said:
This wont help dude, this is the Australian system, you're better of observing various American movies or something...the girl next door has a bit about graduation and formals and things

Cheers
I think he wants info on the Australian system, since he went to school in Miami and has moved here. :p You three have covered pretty much everything. :)

I_F

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
luscious-llama said:
8 months here.
I don't get why you and pLuvia say 8 months...:confused: Its not 8 months between the time you sit your HSC and the time you graduate from your school.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The time between the final exams and the graduation is I guess the day you get your UAI and results? That would be about 6 weeks.

P

pLuvia

kami said:
I don't get why you and pLuvia say 8 months...:confused: Its not 8 months between the time you sit your HSC and the time you graduate from your school.
Opps misread the question

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
kami said:

OH CRAP

misread

"deeeeeer"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)