• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

need some help regarding edutest (tryna get into baulko) (1 Viewer)

letsgetit@thehsc

HSC
any tips regarding edutest. heard it's not a calculator test so yea. trying to move up the ranks from a gateway school (prairiewood high school).
any tips please let me know!!

overcookedpotato

HSC
Hey, I'm assuming this is for Y10 entry (you're graduating 2027?)- I did edutest last yr for ruse Y9 entry and I'm thinking it might be a little different for a year up but I'll try my best to give some tips anyways:

- Edutest usually has short time limits (I think it's 30 mins per test for 5 tests) and esp for subjects like math the questions can be really time consuming and they expect you to be able to calculate quickly- i heard some people say the average time for one q was around 45 secs.. and just on that topic the math and general reasoning is pretty easy, way below textbook level- it just involves a lot of calculation (maybe this might not be the case for you since you'd be taking the year above me, but i did the test twice and that's my general experience)
- i think it's best to bring some paper to the test if they let you: at ruse i think they didn't let us write on the answer booklet so if you write on it with pencil you'll have to spend time rubbing it out and they might not give you enough working paper
- for writing i think you'd typically get a narrative but it could be smth else (i.e. based off a quote, or a persuasive) and it just needs to be a non-cliche story with a main idea- the stimuli edutest have are really not great (there was a pic of an empty hall one year) but hopefully you get one of the nicer ones :))
- buy some edutest past papers if you need it!! it might be good to time how long you take to do a paper but remember that the difficulty changes every year so it might not be consistent with your expectations
- general reasoning becomes a lot easier if you know your vocabulary but you don't need to go really deep with it

also kind of unrelated to edutest itself (sorry) but to the application- coming from a prairiewood does disadvantage you a bit in terms of how highly the assessment board thinks of you but you might want to aim to show extracurricular involvement + interest in community and/or other certification of competitions, etc since a lot of the kids applying are pretty academic based.

and last thing, don't overthink about edutest too much (it might make you feel better to know that despite writing these tips last year i literally waltzed into ruse without doing any preparation and sat the test)!! if you do want to maximise your chances getting into baulko i think these tips are useful :))

sorry about the messy post (couldn't figure out an order to get everything out) but hopefully you can read it, wishing you the best of luck for your test!!! (update please after if you want to)

iloveeggs

HSC
i did edutest far too long ago to give specific advice but as for more general advice that i am sure still applies to you:
- it is a game of time and accuracy - you only have a few seconds per question and how you overcome the time hurdle is to grind practice papers. often the question types repeat themselves and if you've seen the question before chances are you can do it in the test.
- edutest papers are expensive. you can get them if you'd like but i found edutest irl was harder than the practice sets and quite a lot of ppl agree with me. id suggest getting just a few to see what they are like, and then trying things like notesedu or other platform that have edutest online papers. notesedu has a trial paper im pretty sure so if you bought edutest papers do edutest first and then try the notesedu or other platform's trial papers to see if they are similar so you know whether or not to buy it.
- for writing i suggest lots and lots of practice with the worst kinds of prompts possible. back when i did it i got one with some massive underground brick tunnel with moss or smth random like that. you def need to be able to think on the spot with writing and you have to make sure despite how bad your story plot/persuasive argument might be, structure, grammar, fancy techniques, clear points and things like that will get you most of the marks.

iloveeggs

HSC
(it might make you feel better to know that despite writing these tips last year i literally waltzed into ruse without doing any preparation and sat the test
omg thats crazy! did you get into baulko or ruse or anything

letsgetit@thehsc

HSC
thanks a lot. yea prairiewood is looked down upon, so hopefully things go well. ty for the advice

Last edited:

letsgetit@thehsc

HSC
hey, u guys know where to get some quality papers for edutest(apart from their website)?

Diaz Yaeko

HSC
any tips regarding edutest. heard it's not a calculator test so yea. trying to move up the ranks from a gateway school (prairiewood high school).
any tips please let me know!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)