• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

need some help (2 Viewers)

pi-ka-chew

HSC
i was just wondering...if i was ranked poorly at school but do extremely well in the HSC, will i end up getting a high ATAR?

lychnobity

HSC
i was just wondering...if i was ranked poorly at school but do extremely well in the HSC, will i end up getting a high ATAR?
This depends on too many other things like:

how well everyone (at school and state wide) does in that subject
how high 'extremely well is'
how badly you are ranked
how many people you beat
the difference in marks between 1st place, last place and yourself
how well the person who came first did
how badly the person who came last did
the subject you're talking about (scaling works wonders)

generally no, few people can make that big a difference in marks between trials and hsc exams to get a 'high ATAR'

whitnall8

HSC
I know a guy who did the HSC this year and had a rank of around 60/100 for english advanced which isn't great, but he still managed to get an 87 for english and an ATAR of 98.5+

h3ll h0und

HSC
this depends on too many other things like:

How well everyone (at school and state wide) does in that subject
how high 'extremely well is'
how badly you are ranked
how many people you beat
the difference in marks between 1st place, last place and yourself
how well the person who came first did
how badly the person who came last did
the subject you're talking about (scaling works wonders)

generally no, few people can make that big a difference in marks between trials and hsc exams to get a 'high atar'
+1

Eddykungfu

HSC
I was rank 45 + in english ADV.

Got a mark of 87?

25th in 3u , got 88.

Ranks are very important, but i'd say how you + school go in the hsc is more important (even though they are 50/50 each).

HSC
N/A
I didn't rank so well in English when I did my HSC, (50+), but I managed to just scrape a Band 6. But then again, my School owned English that year and did quite poorly at Sciences (top 10 rank for Physics and got a low Band 6)

So It depends what subjects your school also excels in. (Teachers usually play a factor here).

Cheers,

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I was 15th at a school ranked 15th in English (Top 10 overall). My internal was 93, but external, I did really well and got 96. So yeah, you can do extremely well, even if your school isn't ranked brilliantly.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you are ranked 8th in the class, and get the highest mark in the HSC - you will NOT get that mark. You will get the 8th highest mark in the class, after they adjust for moderation. Point is, if you are ranked 8th in the class - of the class marks, you will get the 8th highest HSC Mark.

Also, I believe ATAR is calculated on raw exam marks - so you'll get a high ATAR, but it's also based on your school marks, so they'll balance out and you'll get a mediocre ATAR.

So, to get a good ATAR and HSC result - you must work consistently through the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)