• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Needs advice on doing well in contract law (2 Viewers)

schoolies_08

HSC
G'day everyone,
I'm starting 1st year law at deakin next week and one of my law units is contracts. I keep hearing from previous students how difficult/impossible it is to do well in and even mum who graduated with 1st class hons from melb uni said she only got a credit in it :S I was wondering if anyone had any tips for doing well in the unit? Are there any text books that might help? I've heard Butterworths questions and answers: contract law is a good one but its not on my booklist..
Any advice is much appreciated :D

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Contracts isn't too bad if you've got a good teacher and get the methodology down. It might seem hard because its one of those units you do at the begining of your degree and thus you're not practiced at it.

*Be able to know the basic facts and main point of law from all the cases.
*Check lists are good for subjects like contract i.e:
Offer
Acceptance
Consideration
Intention
Capacity
Viciating Factors
Under those headings you'd have they sub-steps and tick them off

*Get your head arund the stucture of hypothetical answers
*Issue
*Whats the law and authority
*Apply the law to the facts
*Conclude

Best of luck

compache

HSC
N/A
I did Contracts at Deakin last year. I am not going to lie, it had a large fail rate. Over 40% from what I have heard. They mark HARD. I thought I aced it and came out with a 63% - a credit - which is not bad, but still disappointing. From my experience though, those who failed, honestly did not work. Its not impossible, its very much a doable subject and I am certain with some work, you will do great :) .

I believe you should have Julie Clarke as your lecturer ( if you are at the Geelong campus). She is fantastic. Unfortunately I didn't get to experience her as she was finishing off her PHD, except for one lecture on Illegality. She is also the author of the Contract Law book.

If you need any help feel free to PM me.

They mark as such;
33% - Identifying the Issues e.g. There is not acceptance of an offer.
33% - Discussion of the Issues
33% - Current use of law and referencing.

When you do face an issue. Sit down with a black sheet of paper, and the problem. Write down in order all the issues that you can see, and work through them, one by one, until at the end you can make a decision on how you THINK logically the law should fall. However do not forgot to state that it could swing the other way.

Hope that was helpful. As I said, feel free to PM me about anything Deakin Law related.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
I don't agree with the "make a checklist" philosophy. I don't find that this will get you high marks, as it makes each issue quite shallow. Instead, I find that the only way to properly learn a course is to make careful and detailed notes on each case, including the factual situation, legal issues, the ratio, relevant obiter and the actual conclusion. There is no substitute for this in understanding the real legal issues.

A flowchart can be useful, but only to direct you to the major issues (e.g. offer, acceptance, unilateral/bilateral etc.)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I don't agree with the "make a checklist" philosophy. I don't find that this will get you high marks, as it makes each issue quite shallow. Instead, I find that the only way to properly learn a course is to make careful and detailed notes on each case, including the factual situation, legal issues, the ratio, relevant obiter and the actual conclusion. There is no substitute for this in understanding the real legal issues.

A flowchart can be useful, but only to direct you to the major issues (e.g. offer, acceptance, unilateral/bilateral etc.)
I didn't mean only make a checklist but it can be helpful in making sure your you have covered everything, but each to their own a combo of notes/checklist got me something like 82% but I must admit my contracts teacher was one of the best i'd had.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
I didn't mean only make a checklist but it can be helpful in making sure your you have covered everything, but each to their own a combo of notes/checklist got me something like 82% but I must admit my contracts teacher was one of the best i'd had.
Let's not turn this into a marks pissing competition ;)

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I always write checklists but never use them. Once you get an accurate and in-depth understanding of the rules and their practical application (especially where they are contested or complex), create a good set of well-ordered notes by your own hand and do a couple of practices, you'll barely even need to look at your notes and the issues will scream out at you from the page.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I always write checklists but never use them. Once you get an accurate and in-depth understanding of the rules and their practical application (especially where they are contested or complex), create a good set of well-ordered notes by your own hand and do a couple of practices, you'll barely even need to look at your notes and the issues will scream out at you from the page.
Yes, I can't believe I forgot to mention practice questions. There will be usually some in the study guide and sometimes lecturers will put up/give out past exams

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I'm doing law at Deakin. Contract has been one of my favourite subjects so far. I had Nadia and Julie for the unit. I managed top student - it's not impossible, so don't get psyched out before you get started. I think the high fail rate has to be that it's a starter unit and many students haven't worked out the degree and type of study required to do well in law.

At the end of each topic, Deakin units nearly always have a tutorial question for optional completion. They often aren't answered or dealt with properly in class. I always prepare a comprehensive answer to the question - exam style with cases supporting my reasoning and then post the answer on DSO. It can be a bit gutting if you get the reasoning wrong (law students are always quick to draw blood if you make a mistake) but the lecturers often give you invaluable feedback and at least you won't make the same reasoning error in the exam when it really counts.

I think the most important thing with law exams isn't so much getting the knowledge - a lot of students can study hard - it's being able to order your thoughts so you can get the required information down in a logical clear order without missing things you needed to address. Posting questions on DSO really gives you invaluable practice on how to get the marks in the shortest possible way.

I'm also happy to be PM'd if you get stuck on anything. Once you get started though, I'm sure you'll find Deakin lecturers are incredibly helpful and always happy to discuss difficult concepts.

Good luck!

Lentern

HSC
G'day everyone,
I'm starting 1st year law at deakin next week and one of my law units is contracts. I keep hearing from previous students how difficult/impossible it is to do well in and even mum who graduated with 1st class hons from melb uni said she only got a credit in it :S I was wondering if anyone had any tips for doing well in the unit? Are there any text books that might help? I've heard Butterworths questions and answers: contract law is a good one but its not on my booklist..
Any advice is much appreciated :D
We're a few weeks in now, how are you finding it?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
get a good textbook. if your existing textbook doesn't cut it, you might want to try CCH Australian Contract Law Commentary and Cheshire & Fifoot.

i also advise purchasing Ellinghaus' Australian Cases on Contract.

schoolies_08

HSC
Arghhh really sorry about not replying. I forgot my password for ages and deleted my email account so i couldn't retrieve it..

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I've taken all of your tips on board and my notes/case summaries are far more comprehensive than they would have been otherwise. Its amazing how much different it makes to your understanding of concepts when you apply tried and tested methods of studying haha. Contracts seems far more manageable because of everyone's advice and ive learnt that as long as i do the readings properly, that is, read with the intention of actually understanding what im reading and then take quality notes on the material its very doable.

I've got my first contracts assignment due monday which is stressing the hell outta me but i know my understanding of all the concepts/cases is far better because of everyone's advice so thanks again :)

And thanks so much compache and twistedtigers for your offering your assistance with all things deakin law related! I really appreciate it :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Arghhh really sorry about not replying. I forgot my password for ages and deleted my email account so i couldn't retrieve it..

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I've taken all of your tips on board and my notes/case summaries are far more comprehensive than they would have been otherwise. Its amazing how much different it makes to your understanding of concepts when you apply tried and tested methods of studying haha. Contracts seems far more manageable because of everyone's advice and ive learnt that as long as i do the readings properly, that is, read with the intention of actually understanding what im reading and then take quality notes on the material its very doable.

I've got my first contracts assignment due monday which is stressing the hell outta me but i know my understanding of all the concepts/cases is far better because of everyone's advice so thanks again :)

And thanks so much compache and twistedtigers for your offering your assistance with all things deakin law related! I really appreciate it :)
Happy to help next time. Working at $135 per hour these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)