• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New Men's Association and New Diversity Society (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In 2005 I plan to start a Men's Association at USYD, which will complement the work of the Women's Office at the SRC, and will offer support for men in areas of health, welfare and other areas of disadvantage for men.

I also plan to start the Diversity Society. This society will continue the work of Conservatorium Diversity, in pushing for equal representation at our university for all students, including affiliate site students.

I would like to know if there is any interest among people on this board as to participating in either of these societies.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yes, yes you can.

I expect resistance from the established Women's movement at the university as to the Men's Association - it is in fact Young Labor (NOLS) policy to oppose any Men's Association, as it would "undermine" the Women's.

But the fact is that there are so many things that the Men's Association could achieve. One area would be increasing awareness of men's health issues - one of the biggest killers of men under 25 is testicular cancer, yet there is literally no awareness among people in our age group as to how to check for it. Another would be doing something about the suicide rate, and why the overwhelming majority of suicide cases are male. Maybe we could do something about the fact that men serve longer sentences than a woman for the same crime, or why the overwhelming population in our prisons is male. Or why, despite our so-called advantages in school, men make up only 40% of the student population at USYD.

I hope that all male students at our university will support this initiative.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Depends on how in your face you get. And more specifically how in your face the womens one is.

But I do like the idea of it and complementing the womens society, but there are a few who would probably kill any members.

Seeing as I have no idea about how annoyed I would get at the issues there, as I wont be there till next year.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They're VERY in-your-face, but they're not gonna kill us. They might damage some of our property, but any funds the Association has should be able to cover it.

I would like to get some general feedback as to the goals and organisation of this new Association. What is it that we'll be working for? Will we be a Masculist organisation, Men's Rights Activists (MRA's), or just Welfare issues? Are we planning to intentionally piss off the SRC Women's Office, or merely annoy them? Will Women be allowed to join the Men's Association?

All of these are things we must address, because not only is there a need for representation for Men on campus, but Women are also pissed off at the Women's Office, who insist that all women must support such-and-such because it "liberates" women or because it's a woman candidate or whatever.

Ideally, I would like to see Men's Associations started at every university in Australia, starting with the feminazi strongholds of USYD, UTS and UNSW.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
They're VERY in-your-face, but they're not gonna kill us. They might damage some of our property, but any funds the Association has should be able to cover it.

I would like to get some general feedback as to the goals and organisation of this new Association. What is it that we'll be working for? Will we be a Masculist organisation, Men's Rights Activists (MRA's), or just Welfare issues? Are we planning to intentionally piss off the SRC Women's Office, or merely annoy them? Will Women be allowed to join the Men's Association?

All of these are things we must address, because not only is there a need for representation for Men on campus, but Women are also pissed off at the Women's Office, who insist that all women must support such-and-such because it "liberates" women or because it's a woman candidate or whatever.

Ideally, I would like to see Men's Associations started at every university in Australia, starting with the feminazi strongholds of USYD, UTS and UNSW.
how can i get involved? (UNSW)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well it is important to note the difference between which type of masculist you mean. There are the equality in all issues type (the one you seem to want called new masculinity) and the original masculists which was the their are natural differences between men and women and legislation should reflect this.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Personally, I believe that the feminist belief that women's rights = human rights is correct - but so do men's rights. And to deny men representation is to deny universal human rights. The Feminist movement wants to polarise men and women against each other, when we Should be working for the common good of universal human rights.

seraphim - You could approach your union and try to start a Men's Association there. I'd like to get a collective happening with as many interested men as possible, where we can work on our proposals to our respective universities, advertising material and stuff like that.

Please get in touch with me - andrew.quah@secsmusic.org

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But in that respect:
a) I would try to avoid masculism whenever possible (ie in the use of the word)
b) Women should be able to join (but I highly doubt you will have large numbers)
c) Don't be in your face style. All that would do is get a fair few sexist men joining.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
A Masculist supports Men's rights as a way of achieving human rights. In this respect, a Masculist and a Feminist are pretty much the same - and as a masculist, I get along great with many feminists.

I however, distinguish between the feminist and the feminazi. The Women's Office at our university is feminazi-dominated.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Also, I don't believe there Are that many sexist men at our university. Most certainly not any more than there are sexist women. Fact is, the Men's Association will be opposing sexism from both men and women - and this means opposing the sexist women's office, who do what they can to encourage discrimination against men.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The problem being is that at the start of the feminist movement. There was a group of males who basically said there are some things women shouldnt do due to natural differences (such as labouring etc.) they referred to themselves as masculists.

The newer masculist movement is more about equal rights which is fine and most people don't have a problem with.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
At the start of the feminist movement, feminism was about achieving equal rights. Today, many "Feminists" (who are referred to within the Men's Movement as Feminazis) are actively trying to actually turn the balance towards women, by using words such as "patriarchy" and "oppression" to gain an advantage over men.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)