Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
i made some new notes on LEAR but i dont know how helpful they are:

LEAR

INTERPRETATIONS

- the play is subject to various valuing and reception throughout history

interpretation depends on the cultural and societal contexts which exist at times of performance

- for Shakespearian texts to obtain relevance within a contemporary society the must be adapted and performed according to contempory literary devices and practices. In doing so, certain themes and issues are valued and highlighted to alter the reception and interpretation of the play

- Directors of king Lear highlight particular values to influence the meaning of it in their society

THE FAMILY/PSYCHOLOGICAL DRAMA

- family based reading of the play reflects the violence and harm present between the daughter and fathers

- backed up by subplot of Gloucester and his children

- Cordelia favourite child, What can you say, to draw a third more opulent than your sisters?

- This favouritism has plagued goneril and regan their entire lives and leads to the severe treatment of lear later on

- family interpretation of lear is valued because of the insight it provides to the parent-child bond

- I do beseech you Lear reacts with fury and manipulates the dynamics of family favouritism. yet I have left a daughter he rejoins after offering Cordelia a third more opulent than your sisters. Playing off one daughter against another

- subject is not about the agony of Lear but about the whole family

- Lear behaves like a father not a king when he divides kingdom

- unnaturalness occurs when family neglect their kinship. Started by Lear in act 1. The idea of unnaturalness is applied by Albany t goneril and regan with the imagery of sea monsters: like monsters of the deep

- centrality of family life and the intense joy of the reunion and reconciliation of a family is seen in Lears reunion with Cordelia Be your tears wet? Yes, faith I pray weep not Finally convinced Cordelia is talking to him hes amazed the person he has wronged is crying.

FAMILY PYSCHOLOGICAL DRAMA IN THE BONDI PRODUCTION

- genuine look of shock when Cordelia reacts to Lears scolding, leaving mouth open whole time

- sisters standing on opposite sides of stage

AUSTHORITY VS CHAOS

- Lear is as much about political authority as it is about family dynamics.

- when he gives authrority to regan and goneril he delivers himself and Britain into chaos and cruelty.

- As two sisters indulge on their appetite for power Edmond begins his own ascension

- failure of authority in the face of chaos is realised with lears walking on the heath during the story, witnessing the power of the story and natural forces of the world he realises he is insignificant like ever other human in the world

- this compels him to reprioritise and become humble and caring, and hopes to confront the chaos in the political realm as well. Blow winds, and crack your cheeks! Rage, blow/you cataracts and hurricanes this shows how his inner chaos was matched by the elements.

- he changes and notices other peoples needs when says to fool

AUTHORITY VS CHAOS IN THE BONDI PRODUCTION

- air con turned on during the storm scene

- goneril uses sexual and positional power over oswald when she pushes him away from her on the circle. Ignores him when has edgar who equals more power.

- goneril rocks the circle

- goneril taller then husband

- circle of life changed around and is broken

- blood and laughter when regan pokes out glousters eyes

- men in suits follow the power from lear to sisters

QUOTES

What can you say, to draw a third more opulent than your sisters?

I do beseech you

yet I have left a daughter

third more opulent than your sisters

Blow winds, and crack your cheeks! Rage, blow/you cataracts and hurricanes

like monsters of the deep

Be your tears wet? Yes, faith I pray weep not

come on my boy . how dost my boy? Art cold?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by elizabethy
i wonder when r the new notes coming??? hope before the HSC ends!!!!:D
just be patient
the admins are in the middle of a stressful semester of 2nd yr uni...around the middle of June is the half yr break and by that time everything will be complete...hopefully in time for the 1st birthday of BOS!

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Re: Re: NEW notes????

Originally posted by MinAi

just be patient
the admins are in the middle of a stressful semester of 2nd yr uni...around the middle of June is the half yr break and by that time everything will be complete...hopefully in time for the 1st birthday of BOS!
thanx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)