Nike Trash Talk 'shoes made from 100% trash for $100 (2 Viewers)

thoughts?

• hot

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • trash

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • poor

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • for bums only

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Gillard's Hair

HSC
N/A
Do you think it looks hot?

Nike is selling sneakers called “Nike Trash Talk” made from 100% trash for $100. The shoes are made up of scraps and manufacturing waste from the factory floor:

“ We were really looking for a ‘here and now’ solution to footwear waste, and creating a performance product using waste materials felt like a very innovative solution. Using Nike’s Considered design ethos we were able to create a shoe that stands up to the stringent on-court performance requirements but is also more environmentally friendly.”

Damn we’re all for the idea of eco-friendliness, but damn $100 for some trash? They could have at least lowered that price a bit.

Pictures:

http://www.danewz.com/2008/02/20/nike-trash-talk/

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
they are way nicer than i was expecting...

*thinks of mugatu's dereliqued campaign from zoolander*

... i would easy pay $100 for those

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Hagaren said:
they are way nicer than i was expecting...

*thinks of mugatu's dereliqued campaign from zoolander*

... i would easy pay $100 for those
same here... stupid stupid nike, should of cranked it up to like $250, like there other popular shoes, and it would blend straight into the other shoe lines.

:lol:

i should of done marketing...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i will not support nike...they are an evil evil corporation who outsource their labour supply to unregulated third world sweatshops, marking up an inferior grade profit with a massive profit margin to unscrupulous consumers, how very devious and sly of them to market pieces of trash as the new fashion icon, as opposed to the other pieces of trash they've always offered

guys join with me in boycotting these unethical corporations and next time you're out shopping think about the real costs of producing the goods you buy- in terms of human "capital", environmental impact and loss of individual identity/

/end rant

Gillard's Hair

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
i will not support nike...they are an evil evil corporation who outsource their labour supply to unregulated third world sweatshops, marking up an inferior grade profit with a massive profit margin to unscrupulous consumers, how very devious and sly of them to market pieces of trash as the new fashion icon, as opposed to the other pieces of trash they've always offered

guys join with me in boycotting these unethical corporations and next time you're out shopping think about the real costs of producing the goods you buy- in terms of human "capital", environmental impact and loss of individual identity/

/end rant
I agree, but at the same time it's not just Nike that's using cheap labour to manufacturer their products.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
FACT: sweatshop workers have better conditions and pay than a lot of other occupations (lol subsistence agriculture) in countries where they exist.

EDIT: my 3000th counted post goes out to defending capitalist exploitation :D

Last edited:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I agree with inasero, i began to hate Nike after i found out about that. Also Captain_Gh3y is right about them offering better pay. But, what bothers me is that Nike uses cheap labor, and they demand lots of money for people to buy their products.

On a side note, the shoes do look better then i expected, but, they'll still end up with mountains of wastes after making these trash shoes anyways...wont they? =/

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The shoes are awsum n so is nike. I used to buy soccer boots and spikes from that shop in auburn, they were really marked down on normal prices.

Nike for life.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
capt ghey can you please provide a source/reference which definitively proves that these sweatshop workers have better pay than they would otherwise have experienced? they way i see it, and going by anecdotal evidence, these workers are forced into occupations they would not have otherwise chosen due to limitied options- the taking away of productive agricultural lands to pave way for labour intensive manufacturing industries and unjust international trade legislation hardly represents a more favourable situation

secondly, while you might laugh at subsistence agriculture what people don't recognise is how horribly the rights of factory workers are violated everyday in the name of "economic progress". Ungodly work hours, forced abortions, lack of trade union representation and unsanitary conditions are just some of the issues that these workers deal with day in and day out- how can you put a dollar value on these basic human rights?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
oh by the way have a read of "no logo" by naomi klein- top read if you have time. It looks at how corporate culture is encroaching ever more and more into our everyday lives, and some of their associated effects- third world labour exploitation being one of them

sXcGuRl69aU

I'M BREAKING LOLZ
HSC
eh... remember its US$100 and even though we have an excellent exchange rate atm they would probably end up retailing for close to $200 here. which is a fair amount for shoes made from recycled materials that don't really look very good anyway.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
For all you people who are "i hate nike for employing poor cunts for fuck all money in third world countries", look at it this way atleast thanks to nike they have a job nike doesn't make them work there it is ultimately the workers own choice.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
mate you've got to be kidding me- companies like Nike are precisely the ones who effectively enslave the disenfranchised poor in third world countries because they only further exacerbate the poverty trap- i.e. poor education, health and career options leads to limited opportunities, which leads to....and so on and so forth

while it might seem like they are providing income generating opportunities, this is hardly equitable when multinational corporations effectively rape vulnerable populations who don't have any option in which company they work for, then fail to ensure the welfare of their employees citing the exact same flawed argument you just proposed. this is no longer a matter of neoliberalist economics but one of basic human rights that you and I take for granted.

44Ronin

HSC
Woah, a gimmick from Nike - Who woulda thought!

*pumps air max*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)