*nix - Anyone? (1 Viewer)

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Hello,
Just wondering how many people here are closet *nix users (that includes Linux, Free/OpenBSD, Solaris, et al)...

/me ist Red Hat 8 (*Shudder*) in the process of moving to Slackware 9 ("w00t").

Anyone else around? Yoshi?

<Plug>
au.austnet.org : #linuxhelp

(IRC)
</Plug>

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I have mandrake on a seperate machine holding all my files...

I dont hardcore it though... next year after HSC im planning to really get into linux... join some soceity...

Robbo u would know Jango in our grade? the crazy guy... well he is a bit of linux hardcore... he is gonna joing some soceity next year...

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Jango? Linux?!

You mean _THE_ Jango that crash-tackled the plastic chair and went skidding along the balcony? He of the charades, He who works at Macca's?

Hmm. :D

yoshi

I'm using Debian unstable right now. I've used Mandrake, Redhat, Slackware (a little) before. I had FreeBSD as my only OS for a while from version 4.5-4.7.

Robbo, you should definitely move away from Redhat! I personally don't like it because of RPMs. That's why I use debian (and loved FreeBSD), because they both have packaging systems that track the latest versions of all programs, and download dependencies manually. I've tried apt-get for RPM while I was using redhat, but it's a cheap imitation that couldn't resolve my dependencies half the time (and wasn't always tracking the latest and greatest versions of apps).

I haven't installed or played around with Slackware much, I just use a Slackware box occasionaly to install work projects on. I don't think its package management system is too great either (compared to apt-get).

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I use Redhat Linux 9 (on my 2nd HD), dual booted with Windows XP (1st HD).

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
> Robbo, you should definitely move away from Redhat!

And don't I know it. :D

> I just use a Slackware box occasionaly to install work projects on.
> I don't think its package management system is too great either
> (compared to apt-get).

It beats RPM hands down, though. :D

I like compiling from source because so often, after installing an RPM, the package isn't installed anywhere. Then you get the 'package is installed', 'No it isn't', 'Yes it is' errors, et al.

Thank Slackware for rpmtopkg. :D

> if i tried to pass off mac os x as a proper *nix, i'd get shot down.

Yes. Yes, you would. :)

yoshi

Originally posted by saladsurgery
if i tried to pass off mac os x as a proper *nix, i'd get shot down.
It is a "proper" *nix.. believe it!

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/
Darwin integrates a number of technologies, most importantly Mach 3.0, operating-system services based on 4.4BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution), high-performance networking facilities, and support for multiple integrated file systems.
They also choose to use FreeBSD's (that's what they refer to when sayin 4.4BSD) core applications.

yoshi

Originally posted by Cyph
I hate RPMs with a passion! I'd like to put linux on again and try a different package manager though. Any reccomendations? I'm pretty much a beginner.
Debian, or gentoo. Although gentoo is very hands-on, and might not be appropriate without a fair bit of linux experience. They both have terrific package management systems.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by saladsurgery
if i tried to pass off mac os x as a proper *nix, i'd get shot down.

so i won't.
Why shouldn't MacOSX be included as proper *nix? (assuming you use "Terminal")

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hurrotisrobbo
> It beats RPM hands down, though. :D

I like compiling from source because so often, after installing an RPM, the package isn't installed anywhere. Then you get the 'package is installed', 'No it isn't', 'Yes it is' errors, et al.

Thank Slackware for rpmtopkg. :D
RPMs are put for beginers, you dont have to use them if u dont want. BTW, u can compile from source with RPMs. About your problem, yes they are installed but u have to know where it has installed them.

I use slackware 9 btw. It does kill Redhat in terms of speed and stabilty. Used to use redhat since 6.x untill their 8.0. Seeing how buggy it was i moved to slackware 9.0. You will see the difference in speed and stability.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Hmm... I just installed Debian on an 'old' P90. Loving it. I'm a convert. :D

So far:

Code:
Red Hat:    4
Slackware:  3
Debian:     4
Mandrake:   2
FreeBSD:    1
OS X:       1
Yes, I'm sad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)