• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

no idea wat uni course to do?! (2 Viewers)

Lizcat

HSC
i have absolutely no idea what uni course i should do.!!
like i really dunno..
i used to want to do psychology but now i dont think that i would be capable of doing it, coz im not that good at helping people.. but i am a good listener.. and im really interested in why we interact the way that we do.. and everything to do with the psych!.. but then again.. i find inner journeys a bit difficult! which is about the psych!

the subjects that i do are like maths, and sciences, Re and eng ad..
so im kinda interested in science, medicines. im also interested in having a desk job :) haha..
is there any jobs and stuff out there that makes life fun and simple! and also rewarding and has a great lifestyle!?

any suggestions?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It would probably be more appropriate to actually look into the university course information about the course you think you'd like e.g. UNSW student handbook.

I myself do Psychology, and you'd find that there are a lot of pathways within Psychology you can take that will lead to very different types of jobs. It's not just about sitting on a chair and talking to people.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Okay, first up, if psychology is the subject you have a passion for, then that's what you should do, regardless of whether or not you think you'll get there. If you work hard enough, you will. Secondly, you said that you're not good at helpig people. I've never, ever, met a person who was incapable of helping another person in one way or another. That's if you want to help the person! If you still don't want to follow psychology, you could look at behavioural development or occupational therapy (though that's kind of scraping into the "helping people bowl"). If you're really interested in medicine, science and the way our brains (and thus behaviours) function, then you could look at neurophysiology. As far as I know, and I don't know a lot, most courses will in one way or another touch on psychology. You could also look into psychiatry, which will almost certainly involve a little more of your medicine and science.

Oh, and don't worry about your study of inner journeys being a reflection of your "psyche" analysis capabilities. English in one way or another, is almost entirely subjective. Most of the journeys we learn about and analyse are fictional and used primarily because of their creative use of techniques. Only a handful require us to really analyse a person's psychological state of mind.

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I have no real idea what course I'm going to do. For now, concentrate on doing your best: you have time to make a choice. It will come. And if you choose wrong, you can transfer quite easily. :)

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)