Non-accelerated students? (2 Viewers)

whitnall8

HSC
I was just wondering did a band E4 (i think that's the highest band?) in Extension 2 Maths last year (or any other years) who did not do extension 1 maths and 2 unit maths for the HSC in year 11? If so can you tell me how you found it, and how much work you had to put in?

Last edited:

whitnall8

HSC
I meant people who did the HSC in Year 11, so accelerated maths students, sorry. I misphrased the question

The Nomad

HSC
Well back on topic. How much work and effort did you have to put in to state rank?
Isn't that completely off-topic :p

It was alot of work, perhaps not as much effort. On average I completed about 5 chapters each of Fitzpatrick, Cambridge and Terry...and did 100 trial papers and the past 15 years of HSC papers.

Studied around 4 hours of maths a day when I didn't go to school (except Sunday, only 2 hours or so). When I did go to school, it turned out at 2 hours of maths.

Overall, I'd say I spent around 700 hours of maths during the year. Although, that's just an extremely rough estimate.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
so did you mainly study from the textbook or past papers before the exam?

The Nomad

HSC
so did you mainly study from the textbook or past papers before the exam?
For my first assessment (graphs, complex numbers and polynomials), I hadn't completely finished the course yet so I did textbook exercises which I hadn't done before.

By the end of term 1, I was pretty much finished the course (with some minor deficiencies like non-uniform circular motion and circle geometry)...so I only did trials from then on, regardless of what topics were in the exam.

Basically, try to finish the course as quickly as possible (Cambridge and Terry are sufficient in my opinion)...then you only need to do trials from then on. After all, the HSC exam is a completely different story to textbook exercises.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Isn't that completely off-topic :p

It was alot of work, perhaps not as much effort. On average I completed about 5 chapters each of Fitzpatrick, Cambridge and Terry...and did 100 trial papers and the past 15 years of HSC papers.

Studied around 4 hours of maths a day when I didn't go to school (except Sunday, only 2 hours or so). When I did go to school, it turned out at 2 hours of maths.

Overall, I'd say I spent around 700 hours of maths during the year. Although, that's just an extremely rough estimate.
Did you neglect any of your other subjects?

Did you get 99.95 ATAR?

The Nomad

HSC
Including school? If not, then add another 400 (200 per 2u) hours on that :/
I did the year 11 3U course, didn't bother with the year 12 2U course. And I was finished year 12 3U by the end of 2008 in terms of course content...so I don't really remember how much I worked for year 11.

Did you neglect any of your other subjects?

Did you get 99.95 ATAR?
Neglected physics...but I'm quite good at English (finished HSC chemistry). Doesn't really matter though...I just finished year 11 (and that answers your next question :D).

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
man, I did every single textbook question in Jones and Couchman and I ended up with a really shit mark in my 3u first assessment. zomg why...

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I reckon it's worth doing the exercises "Revisions of the entire course" in the back of the 3U Coroneos book.

After all, it appears that an induction question was taken from there for this year's Ext 1 HSC exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)