• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Normalisation Exercises (2 Viewers)

DJel

HSC
Hi,

does anyone know where I could get my hands on a lot of normalisation exercises similar to what I can expect in the HSC?

I have already completed the normalisation activities in past HSCs and Google only brings up university-level questions.

Thanks.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Maybe have a look in your library for some alternate textbooks? Anyway, if you find something good let me know.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What do u need to do normalisation exercises for? Are they really gonna help u much in an exam- IPT doesn't really test u on this topic, let alone at a very high level.

DJel

HSC
seremify007 said:
Are they really gonna help u much in an exam- IPT doesn't really test u on this topic, let alone at a very high level.
I believe they would. Plus, I'm not looking for "very high level" questions.

DJel said:
similar to what I can expect in the HSC?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I meant normalisation in the exams are really really basic. They will give you a table of data, and you need to identify which bits are redundant- typically the thing which is repeated alot unnecessarily. Think of it like algebra in maths- where you use a "let x = something arather" to remove an otherwise long and repetitive string from multiple records.

You're better off learning how to answer the scenario questions which is where most of the marks are, and how they differentiate between a band 5 and a band 6.

mijoe

HSC
seremify007 said:
I meant normalisation in the exams are really really basic. They will give you a table of data, and you need to identify which bits are redundant- typically the thing which is repeated alot unnecessarily. Think of it like algebra in maths- where you use a "let x = something arather" to remove an otherwise long and repetitive string from multiple records.

You're better off learning how to answer the scenario questions which is where most of the marks are, and how they differentiate between a band 5 and a band 6.
...Normalisation is really easy they will net you a free 2 marks at least out of 3. Draw up the tables (Usually at least 3 of them) Link primary keys between to a foreign key in another table. Draw some relationships between the keys and state whether they are one to many or many to one. Shouldn't need to do much more than the past paper ones. Relatively easy concept to master.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)