• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not securing positions (1 Viewer)

spillargroove

HSC
I been reguarly checking Seek every week to see job opportunities. I would like to work as a retail sales assistant and it is something I fine perfect. However, my work history has only been work experience in I.T and I am pretty sure this is why retail companies I have applied to are not accepting me and because I lack experience.

So may of retail companies want people with past experience. What chance is there for someone like me without that previous experience getting a retail job? How are these companies able to grow without giving some like me young and having the potential the opporunity? I am also happy gaining a stock person job with a retail store but even that has been unsuccessful.

*Minka*

HSC
The problem with retail is that you are 'old' the moment you hit your 18th birthday.

Scanorama

HSC
My first job was Kmart Christmas casual, I had no experience before, but they still hired me, although it only lasted for 6 weeks, after that due to budget problems, they cut down all casual shifts. It was a shit job anyway, not like I would had stay.

My second job was Woolies nightfiller. Started in Decemeber 2005, the only experience I had was Kmart and the manager was well aware I only worked there for 6 weeks. I got the job started as casual, earned $7000 in 2.5 months. They moved me up to permanent part-time before my 3 month probationary period finished.

Oh I forgot to mention Im turning 21 this year. I think at Woolies, well at my store anyway, age isn't really a big factor, as long as you do works. If you don't fuck around, then you are pretty safe.

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
Try doing checkouts or something at a supermarket or whatever. Then move your way up. They're probably looking for someone with good customer-service skills etc, which is probably not an area you've had alot to do with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)