• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not Showing Working? (1 Viewer)

Tross1

HSC
Do you still get full marks for writing a correct answer without showing any working? If its a 2-3 marker?

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A
As long as it is not a "Prove" or "Show" question, I am fairly sure you still get full marks. The part where working out helps is it can get you part marks if your final answer is wrong. If you just give an answer without working, and it is wrong, you get zero. If you show working out and it is clear that you just made a small arithmetic error somewhere, you will still get 2 out of 3 marks (if it is 3 marker).

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A
I still don't get why you would do a question with no working though. What, do you write your working out on the exam paper? They give you answer books for a reason. You are going to have write stuff down to arrive at your final answer, you can't just do it all in your head. You might as well write what you are doing in the answer book so the markers can see.

_pikachu

HSC
Look at the marking guidelines...
they tell you where you earn marks

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I still don't get why you would do a question with no working though. What, do you write your working out on the exam paper? They give you answer books for a reason. You are going to have write stuff down to arrive at your final answer, you can't just do it all in your head. You might as well write what you are doing in the answer book so the markers can see.
This

Tross1

HSC
Thanks for your help. Sometimes there might be a question where you're unable to manipulate the equation to find an x-value or something, but you can sub in educated guesses and it turns out to be correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)