• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Notebook brands (1 Viewer)

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
im currently interested into laptops and is lookin forward to buy one soon, maybe.
was wondering wot are the favourite brands here.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Apple
Compaq/HP
Asus
Toshiba

I have an Apple, my brother has a Compaq, my sister has an Asus and my aunt has a Toshiba. Seriously though go with Apple. If you don't want a Mac, get Asus, I've heard they're the best and my sister's one is almost perfect. (Apples don't have a very good battery life)

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
I personally prefer Dell notebooks (for features, power, customisation and value). For durability & longevity, I'd look into Asus and IBM machines. Apple obviously, if you prefer OS X.

pete_mate

HSC
Martyno1 said:
Apple
Compaq/HP
Asus
Toshiba

I have an Apple, my brother has a Compaq, my sister has an Asus and my aunt has a Toshiba. Seriously though go with Apple. If you don't want a Mac, get Asus, I've heard they're the best and my sister's one is almost perfect. (Apple's don't have a very good battery life)
wtf? the macbook has a maximum battery life of 6 and a half hours

you've heard well about ASUS.

Collin, seriously wtf, have you ever used a dell for a long period of time or have you just looked at the specs.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
pete_mate said:
wtf? the macbook has a maximum battery life of 6 and a half hours

you've heard well about ASUS.

Collin, seriously wtf, have you ever used a dell for a long period of time or have you just looked at the specs.
I have a Macbook. 6 and a half hours the first time you use it, maybe. If you want it to stay at 5 hours at the most, you'll have to have it on the lowest brightness, play absolutely no sound, have AirPort and Bluetooth disabled, etc.. You can't recharge the battery until it's completely empty and you're meant to take it out if you're not using it.

The most I can get now is about 3 and a half hours if I'm lucky.

pete_mate

HSC
Martyno1 said:
I have a Macbook. 6 and a half hours the first time you use it, maybe. If you want it to stay at 5 hours at the most, you'll have to have it on the lowest brightness, play absolutely no sound, have AirPort and Bluetooth disabled, etc.. You can't recharge the battery until it's completely empty and you're meant to take it out if you're not using it.

The most I can get now is about 3 and a half hours if I'm lucky.
how old is it? batteries have finite amount of charge cycles in them. just like ipod batteries, or any batteries for that matter.

Collin

HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:
Nah man, I've never used one in my life. I should hate them because some IT sales guy told me they suck and everything commission-driven IT salesfolks says must be truth and if anyone says otherwise, they must have never actually used one. :rolleyes:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3971/dell6000ay6.jpg
Current Dell: Inspiron 6000 - Feb 06. Used frequently at home/public transport & uni (during semester). Dropped it a few times too, unfortunately.

So yes, I've certainly pushed one through it's paces for a little while. Have you?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
bought an asus w5f a few weeks ago and so far its been treating me very good
absolutely recommend it

or if youve got money to spend get sony or toshiba

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
personally, i think hp (not the compaq part) ones & the vaio's are pretty sexy in looks. ..make that apple too. and also ppl say hp notebooks are not that good for gaming. wonder why. =.= i know nothing..... :]

dartm2

HSC
It isn't so much as the brand with laptops from what i understand, as very few manufactures actually make their own laptops (HP, apple and i think one other from memory). The others buy the shells and add ram, HD's CPU's and Logos. There are acually a lot of nearly identical laptops out there from different manufatures because they have the same source.

Obvisouly some will be better quality than others, but buying an asus or Ibm while are likely to be quality because of the standard they look for there are Heaps of other laptops out there that are good.

Denpends how much effort you want to put in and how much you know about what you are going. But i would be looking at more what you need the laptop for. And find a Balance between the Price, Performance and Portability that you want.

I had a really good look a a while ago now and found that the best laptops (for what i was looking for) mostly weren't a name brand.

But before you buy anything (especialy if an unknown brand) see if you can find any reviews or opinions on it online.

But if you arn't too worried i think you will find most name brands capable, If you can go to a store with lots and see what you like the feel/look/screen of, the stuff you can't see on a specsheet.

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
p4e81 said:
personally, i think hp (not the compaq part) ones & the vaio's are pretty sexy in looks. ..make that apple too. and also ppl say hp notebooks are not that good for gaming. wonder why. =.= i know nothing..... :]
HP are quite a good laptop. But also, have a look at the IBM ThinkPad range, especially the T40 series. I know that IBM have been taken over by a different company now named Lenovo and they no longer make the T40 series. But I would recommend those if you want a quality notebook which is qiet, light and compact.

konstantine'

HSC
I reckon you should just take a friend who knows their shizz into a few stores, have a look around and probably read some reviews on the ones you're seriously interested in. Don't rely on those salespeople; they'll make a shitbox sound top notch.

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
I swear on HP Compaq Business notebooks. Sleek looking, solid and extremely durable notebooks. Only downside being that they seldom incorporate the latest, greatest features, only the most stable and common ones (e.g. no tv tuner, hdmi, latest graphics card, etc.). But if you want a workhorse, they work really well.

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
chris_c28 said:
I swear on HP Compaq Business notebooks. Sleek looking, solid and extremely durable notebooks. Only downside being that they seldom incorporate the latest, greatest features, only the most stable and common ones (e.g. no tv tuner, hdmi, latest graphics card, etc.). But if you want a workhorse, they work really well.
Yeah you're right, "solid". They're too big and heavy to carry around (personal opinion).

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
I have an HP Pavilion - I got it for a really good price.

If I had the money, I'd buy a Lenovo Thinkpad as they have the best build quality of any of the major laptop brands, are very durable and will last for ages. They used to be called IBM thinkpads, but lenovo have always made them - so its been nothing more than a name change.

Some of the Toshibas (not the uber cheap $900 ones) are quite good too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)