• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Notes From The Marking Centre. (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The 2003 'Notes From The Marking Centre' have been published, containing helpful advice for current HSC students (The 'Next Generation', to us semi-crusty 2003'ers).

Selected Extracts:

General Comments
The more able candidates demonstrated that they were better prepared to address all aspects of the questions by relating syllabus outcomes to the examination. They demonstrated ability to apply glossary terms such as 'outline', 'explain' and 'assess'.

Better responses contained extensive and accurate references to ancient and modern sources, used specific and relevant detail and applied terms and concepts appropriately. Answers placed in the top mark range assessed new sources and current scholarship to support their argument. [...]

A note of concern was that many candidates were dependent on information from general textbooks rather than assessing primary sources and academic scholarship.
(p.5)

Section I;Personalities In Their Times
Only the best responses were able to place their personality in their historical context. [...]

With regard to future directions, candidates should be instructed to do the following;
-Take the time to read the question carefully and address its specific requirements.
-Address the requirements of the question, not simply provide a narrative.
-Identify relevant and accurate sources for the personality.
-Avoid reliance upon a section of general information (Ie; student textbooks instead of historical scholarship.)
-Avoid the fabrication of historical sources, ancient and modern.
-Write clearly and legibly to facilitate the marking process.
[p.6]

Section II:Ancient Societies
It is important to emphasise that candidates must study all items set down for a particular Society in the syllabus. It was clear that some students did not expect questions on topics such as occupations of ordinary Egyptians, features of the Mycenaean and Spartan economies, etc:..

Finally, the points a.) to d.) may be answered without referring to sources. Candidates may add this material, but it is possible to gain full marks for each question without using sources. However, in part e.), the candidate must refer to the Source given and place it in context as well as offer other evidence to obtain a maximum mark.
(p.8)

Section III; Historical Periods
The best responses were able to give detailed information about the period in question, sustain a logical argument throughout, and support the argument with sources both ancient and modern. Weaker responses provided simple narratives with little regard for the question asked. [p.10]

The entire document may be found at;
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2003exams/index.html#a

In short, it is adviceable to;
-Study using the syllabus as a guide.
-Using relevant, scholarly sources.
-Answer in detail.
-Answer the question.

jimmik

HSC
thanks. so the common type of ques used would be "explain", "assess" and "outline" ques rite? so we should focus on knowin what these type of key words ask for too dont we?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by jimmik
thanks. so the common type of ques used would be "explain", "assess" and "outline" ques rite? so we should focus on knowin what these type of key words ask for too dont we?
Yeah, so that you properly answer what is required of you. :)

HSC
N/A
jimmik said:
Explain = How and Why
Assess = Pros and Cons
Outline = Self Explainatory
Evaluate = Come to your own conclusion after weighing up either sides

also, they're likely to ask you either
Course = how happened
Cause = why did it happen
Effect = what and how did the event affect later events

:D

X

xeuyrawp

-Avoid the fabrication of historical sources, ancient and modern.

Hah, I had a bet with one of my friends that my teacher would catch out a made up quote; she's an HSC marker for Rome, but she was reading my Egypt essay. I told her after about the bet, she laughed, and then told me that the quote stuck out because it looked too neat in my essay and that students always use lame made up names, or generic names.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)