Notes (1 Viewer)

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
I'm dropping Ancient History, going down to 10 units, if anyone wants some notes on Egypt and Grece (mainly Egypt, just send me an email or better yet PM me (it means private message i think...) I've dropped it cause at the moment it is not as good as my other subjects and my ranking is not as good as my others (top 5/10 for everything). And I realised how shit ancient scales, not to put u guys down or anything.

Cheers

Last edited:

Cab31

HSC
i thought ancient scaled well. Oh well. If u dont enjoy it dont do it.

X

xeuyrawp

LaCe said:
I'm dropping Ancient History, going down to 10 units, if anyone wants some notes on Egypt and Grece (mainly Egypt, just send me an email or better yet PM me (it means private message i think...) I've dropped it cause at the moment it is not as good as my other subjects and my ranking is not as good as my others (top 5/10 for everything). And I realised how shit ancient scales, not to put u guys down or anything.

Cheers
Heya, you said this to me on MSN, sorry I didn't get back whilst you were online.

Yeah, if you're not doing well, and you don't like it, you should drop it, but don't drop it because of the scaling. If you go well in it, it doesn't scale too badly.

Ah well, good luck in the rest of your subs:)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
One very bad assumption kids get into is that they think 'scaling' will affect how good they do in their UAI.

To some extent it does, but it is all relative. Basically you wont be pushed UP or DOWN according to your other subjects, rather its like the uni GPA system.

You do well in all your units, you will get a decent UAI.
There are no cutoffs into making band 5-6 in terms of numbers. So if you believe you're not doing well, then drop it, but like they said, dont drop it due to scaling :)

A Band 5 in Ancient History is still a Band 5 result.

Cab31

HSC
AsyLum said:
One very bad assumption kids get into is that they think 'scaling' will affect how good they do in their UAI.

To some extent it does, but it is all relative. Basically you wont be pushed UP or DOWN according to your other subjects, rather its like the uni GPA system.

There are no cutoffs into making band 5-6 in terms of numbers. So if you believe you're not doing well, then drop it, but like they said, dont drop it due to scaling :)

And (correct me if im wrong) the percentage of students who get a band six in ancient history is actually quite high (something like 10 %).

X

xeuyrawp

Cab31 said:
And (correct me if im wrong) the percentage of students who get a band six in ancient history is actually quite high (something like 10 %).
Yes, that's why scaling on the low end of band 6s isn't so good, I believe.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
AsyLum said:

What about UAI contribuition? (stuff on SAM and other stuff i have heard)?

Sorry i have got back to ppl sending me messages, i dont nknow how this stupid PM thing works, just add me to hotmail/msn i'll give it to u there,
cheers

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
pwaryuex said:
that's why scaling on the low end of band 6s isn't so good
did you really mean that in terms of the lower end of the band 6s or in terms of the cohert for ancient as a whole, that it gets scaled badly at the lower end?? :S

X

xeuyrawp

wrong_turn said:
did you really mean that in terms of the lower end of the band 6s or in terms of the cohert for ancient as a whole, that it gets scaled badly at the lower end?? :S
I don't understand what you mean. I'll read it again in the morning...

What I meant was getting low band 6s in Ancient isn't as great as in Physics et al, because there are more in a band 6.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
LaCe said:
What about UAI contribuition? (stuff on SAM and other stuff i have heard)?

Sorry i have got back to ppl sending me messages, i dont nknow how this stupid PM thing works, just add me to hotmail/msn i'll give it to u there,
cheers
Working out UAI stuff like that is insanely difficult, due to the fact that it contains a shitload of maths and whatnot.

Concentrate on gaining a good raw mark.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Working out UAI stuff like that is insanely difficult, due to the fact that it contains a shitload of maths and whatnot.

Concentrate on gaining a good raw mark.
Yes, not to mention a waste of time, and counter-constructive. If you do subjects because of scalling, you'll get a worse mark because you don't like those subjects and may not even be good at them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)