• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Notre Dame... (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
OK, this might seem a stupid question BUT: I'm mildly interested in doing the theatre studies course at the University of Notre Dame next year, and when i picked up an information pamphlet today it mentioned something about education reflecting catholic values or something. so my question is do you have to be catholic to go there? or do they place preference on catholic ppl? coz i really like the sound of the course but im not religious and the idea is a bit off putting. so yeah. anyone know?

volition

arr.
HSC
As far as I know, you don't have to be catholic to get in. There are some core subjects such as ethics that you would have to do (they would probably have a bit of a catholic spin on things), but other than that, I don't think it would be that bad to go there as a non-religious person. They run mass, but you don't have to go to it or anything.

As far as 'preferring' catholic students goes, I dunno what the deal is.

mishka

HSC
N/A
I'm guessing it would be similar to my uni. I'm not catholic but I am doing the Religious Education strand of my course (I'll be able to casual teach in catholic schools after next year).

In courses where you're not actually doing education, you will probably have the chance to do theology subjects. It's up to you whether you do them.. you just have to be prepared to learn the content.

They're not going to try to ram religion down your throat around the campus or in classes.. you might encounter Mass, religious themed days at the uni but other than that, it's just normal around campus. They don't "prefer" catholic students... if you get the marks to get in, you'll get in!

Choose the course if you like the look of its structure and professional experience (if any). I haven't heard of a course like this anywhere else so if it's what you want to do, go for it!

Butterfly.

HSC
No you dont have to be Catholic to go there. In the application form booklet it says something about them accepting people from all religions and it doesnt matter if your not Catholic.

Like Mishka said, its just like ACU, where you have the choice to pick courses to do with theology/religion.. but you DONT have to do them.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
OK, this might seem a stupid question BUT: I'm mildly interested in doing the theatre studies course at the University of Notre Dame next year, and when i picked up an information pamphlet today it mentioned something about education reflecting catholic values or something. so my question is do you have to be catholic to go there? or do they place preference on catholic ppl? coz i really like the sound of the course but im not religious and the idea is a bit off putting. so yeah. anyone know?
For some catholic schools(my one for example) are offering scholarships for four students in four of their courses respectively, based on their academic results and also through an interview.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Where is the University of Notre Dame??

I went to Notre Dame Cathedral.. that was fun :D

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
Where is the University of Notre Dame??

I went to Notre Dame Cathedral.. that was fun :D
keep going down broadway past UTS (which is on the right), it's on the left a couple blocks opposite.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^: I applied for Notre Dame last year. The application form says that they accept people of all faiths (even though they ask which you follow). They don't discriminate against you if you are not catholic. There is compulsory year1 theology and ethics studies though.
I was actually offered a B Commerce course after an interview, but eventually rejected it due to lack of electives, and other personal reasons. If you have any questions on the application process (e.g. interview questions etc.), just pm me on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)